Location: Durham Industrial Park, Oshawa, Ontario
Durham Industrial Park consists of 16 buildings in the general geographic area of Wilson, Wentworth Street East, Farewell Street and Marwood Drive in South Oshawa. Stoneleigh Management Inc. (SMI) provides leasing and maintenance services to the tenants and the buildings in the park. This position will assist in keeping the buildings and grounds in an excellent state of repair and maintenance. There are approximately 90 tenants in the Park, the majority being small-bay industrial units with various uses from not-for-profit offices to small manufacturers and warehousers.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Full time opportunity – 40.0 hours per week, reporting through your direct supervisor, the Property Manager. The Maintenance Person will also take direction from the Operations Administrator on administrative matters.
The Maintenance Person will be expected to move around the Business Park independently. Tools will be delivered on-site (specific location) using SMI’s maintenance van.
SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm
1/2hour for lunch each day
These hours may be changed due to weather conditions or other specific situations that arise spontaneously.
Maintenance staff is required to be on-call for emergency afterhours calls on a rotating basis. If you are the ‘on-call’ person you are expected to attend on-site as necessary.
- General site cleanup including but not limited to litter and debris pickup and disposal, keeping walkways clean around all buildings and walkways. Sweeping up debris blowing from other properties, tree branches etc. Picking up items from tenants’ overflowing bins.
- Removing weeds from gardens on at least a weekly basis, including edging flowerbeds, turning soil, raking mulch, watering plants, weeding around all buildings and walkways including removing weeds in the ‘marble-chip’ areas beside some entrances.
- Cutting grass, edging lawns around curbs, replacing mulch on beds and watering gardens and/or lawns. Digging out dandelions and other weeds as needed.
- Cleaning vacant units. This includes ensuring that: toilets are flushed weekly and if soiled (by workmen, disuse etc.) that they are properly cleaned and basins cleaned and dried; windows washed both interior and exterior, cobwebs are removed from inside and outside units –particularly in front of units and around exterior light fixtures; any dead insects behind blinds are removed and window sills dusted and/or washed as required; all light bulbs are in working order and lenses in place and clean (if broken then are to be replaced). If lights are burnt out the bulbs are replaced. If the light is still not operational it is reported to the Site Manager; warehouse floors are to be swept clean, shop-vac’d and/or washed. If there is remedial work to bring the premises to Base Building standard, i.e. built out office, washrooms, painted ceiling, and floors in warehouse that this work is completed to SMI standards. If there is evidence of roof leaks or other damage to the units, such as stained ceiling tiles or malfunctioning toilets this must be reported to the Site Manager for repair. In general, the Maintenance Person(s) will see that the vacant units are in optimum condition to be leased. This means when the Property Manager or Real Estate Agents ‘show’ the vacant units to prospective tenants the unit is in the best condition it can be to attract a new tenant. If not, any issues or deficiencies are rectified immediately. If that is not possible issues are reported to the Site Manager or Operations Administrator so the work can be added to the Task List. Also ensures that leasing signs are in place and ‘Leased’ signs go into the windows as soon as a deal is done.
- Assist in demolition and construction (build-out) of vacant units to bring them to ‘base building’ standard. Includes: demolition, erecting metal studs, dry-wall installation, (taping, sanding, mudding), installation of suspended T-bar ceiling, installation of vinyl tile & base, installation of vanities, sinks, toilets, doors & frames, painting (both rolling & spraying, i.e. warehouse walls), and other work to finish the units ready for showing. Note: at no time will the Maintenance Person undertake any electrical repairs or installations.
- Roof maintenance: including completing the annual Roof Maintenance Program: examination of roof including membrane and all roof penetrations, roof drains, scuppers, flashing etc. Removal of any debris or algae on the roof. Repairs to any existing or probable roof leaks (with repair program currently in place). Installation of clean aggregate using ‘zoom-boom’ to provide adequate protection from the elements.
- Paving Program: Ranking pothole repairs, marking 1, 2 or 3. Working as a team cutting out potholes with walk-behind saw, filling with aggregate and preparing for asphalt contractor to fill from hotbox, rolling with rented ride-on roller.
- Responding to tenant calls as directed by Property Manager or Operations Administrator, in a professional and courteous manner. Clean uniform is to be kept on-site so that if necessary the Maintenance Person can change before calling on the tenant.
- Assist with over-seeing third party contractors who may be working in the park.
- Painting and caulking inside and/or outside windows. Minor concrete repairs inside and outside units.
- Assist in setting up for special projects as directed; i.e. the Tenant Appreciation Day.
- Clean tools and store in accordance with SMI policies and/or instructions of Operations Manager. Perform regular maintenance on tools to ensure their longevity. Report any damage to tools or equipment to a supervisor in order that it can be repaired or replaced. No damaged tool is to be used that could pose a danger. No tool or equipment to be ‘jerry-rigged’ to work properly. If it cannot be fixed in house it will be sent out for repair or replaced in accordance with budget constraints.
- Other duties as assigned by the Property Manager from time to time.
- Salary TBD
Reference ID: Oshawa
Application Deadline: 2021-01-19
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $0.00 per year