Career Opportunity Curator of Animal Care – Ungulates and Large Carnivores
Assiniboine Park Conservancy
55 Pavilion Crescent
Winnipeg, MB R3P 2N6
About Assiniboine Park Conservancy
Creating the future vision for one of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada’s most prized treasures, Assiniboine Park Conservancy (APC) located at 55 Pavilion Crescent is the not-for-profit organization that oversees Assiniboine Park’s operations and ensures its ongoing redevelopment and financial viability. Our team is inspired to create and deliver extraordinary experiences for the people who visit and use the Park including building friendly, supportive, effective relationships with stakeholders, community and the general public.
Permanent Full Time
Salaried (37.5 hours/week)
Days, evenings, and weekends including holidays are required.
Are you a manager with a people focus? Do you have a passion for animals and a background in zoological operations? Do you enjoy developing others and working towards a common customer service approach to achieve business results? Do you work best in a collaborative, team focussed environment? If you answered yes to these questions, then we have a role you might be interested in.
Reporting directly to the General Curator, this role will play a key role in our animal management team. You will be responsible for the coordination and administration of assigned animal collections and associated conservation initiatives; maintaining the quality standards of accredited zoological practices. The incumbent will ensure high standards of collection management are maintained by the sections under their responsibility.
What you will do:
- Plan animal husbandry activities to ensure daily operational needs are met
- Implement project plans affecting collections under your management
- Develop protocols and procedures within the zoological operations
- Involvement with design of animal habitats and exhibits
- Lead an animal care team including the supervision and management of your assigned staff group including recruitment, orientation, scheduling, training, coaching, performance management and related duties as assigned
- Involvement in preparing and administrating applicable budgets
- Recruit, train and mentor zoo staff
- Serve as an active member of the animal emergency response team
- Maintain accurate records
- Adhere to the APC-CUPE Collective Agreement
What you need to have:
- A bachelor’s degree in zoological science, wildlife management, or related field
- A minimum of 2-3 years of curatorial experience
- A minimum of 2 years supervisory skills in an accredited zoological facility
- An advanced understanding of behavioural husbandry tools and methods
Considered an asset to have:
- Prior experience working within an unionized environment is considered a strong asset
What you need to demonstrate to be successful in this role:
- Proficiency with computer programs including Microsoft Office software
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, volunteers and visitors;
- Aptitude for learning new technology with experience using Microsoft office Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Skills in responding to emergencies
- Ability to conduct impartial, accurate investigations
- Physical capability to perform the duties of the position
What we have to offer:
This is a permanent, full time position located in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada working out of 2595 Roblyn Boulevard (postal code R3P 2N7).This is an English speaking role, however, bilingual in French is considered an asset. It offers a competitive compensation package with a salary in the range of $60,000-$75,000 CAD based on experience and up to $5,000 in relocation expenses depending on the candidate’s home location. Your total rewards package also includes a company paid health, dental, life insurance, accidental death & disability and health care spending account as well as an employee paid long-term disability plan. A group RRSP and an employee assistance plan is also part of the incredible benefits package. Vacation pay is accrued at eight (8) percent equating to 4 weeks of holiday time per year.
Successful candidates may be subject to a Criminal Record Check and Credit Check.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please APPLY online at our career website at http://www.assiniboineparkzoo.ca/park-landing/home/join-our-team/careers with your resume and cover letter including your salary expectations.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $60,000.00 to $75,000.00 /year
- curatorial: 2 years (Required)
- supervisory skills in an accredited zoological facility: 2 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)