Do you like children? Have an aptitude for math? This is a teaching opportunity to change lives and feel great about your impact in the community.
Mathnasium of Killarney is a math-only learning centre located in Westbrook Mall, SW Calgary. We teach math to students in grades K-12 in a way that makes sense to them. Using the Mathnasium Method, curriculum and materials are customized to meet each student's needs. We are seeking bright professionals to join our team as Instructors who like to have fun and motivate children to succeed in math.
Below is an overview of the position and its requirements:
- Instructors are part-time employees who typically work between eight and twenty hours per week. Some flexibility in schedule may be required.
- Instructors are expected to apply the Mathnasium-specific teaching methods learned through required training.
- All instructors must pass a police background check.
A Mathnasium instructor must:
- Have exceptional math skills
- Be positive, energetic, outgoing and passionate about teaching and helping kids
- Be able to communicate professionally and build a rapport with parents, colleagues, and students of all ages
- Possess excellent multi-tasking skills
The following qualities are strongly preferred, but not required:
- Prior teaching experience or other experience working with children (tutoring, coaching, etc.)
- Proficiency in Pre-Calculus and Calculus
As the first step in our interview process, applicants are required to have a telephone interview which takes approximately 20 - 30 minutes. If the applicant demonstrates the necessary skills, the next step is a math aptitude test. This test takes approximately 3 hours. We will provide all materials and no calculators are allowed. Candidates not able to meet the required level of competency will not be invited to continue with the hiring process and cannot be considered for a position of an Instructor.
Upon accepted offer, incumbents must complete a series of Mathnasium on-line courses followed by a series of training "shifts" at the centre. This combined on-line training and in-centre live training ensures the new team member is comfortable working with students. You will be compensated during training "shifts". The new instructor team member is then added to our weekly session schedule and is expected to commit to their work schedule at the Math Centre from that point forward.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: From $15.00 per hour
Job Types: Permanent, Part-time
Part-time hours: 8 - 20 per week
Salary: $15.00-$17.00 per hour
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Calgary, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Are you able to work Monday through Thursday from 3:00pm - 7:30pm in addition to Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm
Work Location: In person
Expected start date: 2023-10-10