Job Posting #:201056
Position Available: Drug Access Navigator
About Joseph Brant Hospital:
Joseph Brant Hospital (JBH) is a full-service community teaching hospital located in the growing and thriving community of Burlington, Ontario, serving more than 185,000 residents in Halton, Hamilton, Waterdown, Flamborough, Milton and Stoney Creek. It is honoured to be recognized as one of Hamilton Niagara's Top Employers for five (5) consecutive years, with a skilled staff of 194 physicians, 1,911 full- and part-time staff and more than 700 volunteers.
JBH is a Clinical Education site in conjunction with McMaster University, and designated as an Academic Community Teaching Hospital. Its expanded campus includes the state-of-art Michael Lee-Chin & Family Patient Tower, featuring a new Emergency Department, 172 acute inpatient beds, 9 new Operating Rooms and post-anaesthetic care unit to support expanded medical, surgical and outpatient services. JBH is also a partner member of the Burlington Ontario Health Team.
JBH inspires and empowers a culture of caring and this is demonstrated in many ways including our commitment to the health, safety and wellbeing of our people. For more information, visit www.josephbranthospital.ca.
The Pharmacy Satellite at the Oncology Clinic at Joseph Brant Hospital effectively manages drug therapy and is committed to providing excellent pharmaceutical care for positive patient outcomes. The Pharmacy team works together with the Oncology team to achieve effective and safe delivery of medications for the patients.
Reporting to the Manager of the Pharmacy Services, The Drug Access Navigator facilitates and coordinates access to medication assistance for oncology patients. This coordination will occur in consultation with the Systemic Therapy Program Team including Medical and Hematology Oncologists, Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technicians, Primary Care Nurses, Nurse Practitioners and Social Workers.
The Drug Access Navigator provides a centralized resource to coordinate access and distribution of Special Access Program drugs, coordination of ODB or third party submissions, and the coordination of private patient payments in the Oncology setting. The Drug Access Facilitator will work closely with JBH oncology health professionals to ensure optimal patient care outcome through effective drug coordination. The Navigator acts in a supporting role to facilitate access to oncology medication for eligible patients; ensuring that patients are aware of all public and private support and funding options available i.e. ODB, Trillium, industry sponsored patient assistance programs, compassionate and third party plans; maintaining all appropriate records of drug access and patient interventions, including workload statistics; providing progress updates to the patient care team as it relates to medication access; interacting with Finance to coordinate the private patient payments around their appointment schedules; coordinating the physician SAP applications, oncology assistance programs (if available) and subsequent purchase orders for IV/PO patient pay chemotherapy in a timely fashion to aid chemotherapy administration; coordinating the ODB Exceptional Access Program process with the physicians on behalf of cancer patients. The Navigator aids in patient access to the CCO Free Drug Service following Social Work referral.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Interview patients and families to complete a needs assessment for financial assistance for medications not covered by OHIP or Cancer Care Ontario's New Drug Funding Program.
2. Act as a liaison and referral source between patients, families, and hospital and community resources related to medication access.
3. Confirm status of medication approval process and communication with appropriate stakeholders.
4. Engage patients and families in problem-solving to develop long-term strategies for medication reimbursement throughout the treatment process.
5. Work with physicians to coordinate transmission of EAP requests to Ontario Drug Benefit Exception Access program.
6. Track status of special funding requests, coordinate submission of additional information when required and communicate with patients when request approvals are received.
7. Receive, edit, and submit supporting documents with drug applications to approve parties in a timely manner.
8. Track and monitor status of applications within a database and with assigned parties.
9. Communicate with patients and staff of the developing status of applications.
10. Coordinate with Internal and External Stakeholders.
11. Consult with appropriate programs to facilitate and improve ongoing coordination of financial coverage of medications.
12. Await and retrieve application outcomes from assigned parties in a timely manner. Notify staff and patients of approvals or denials. Assist with appeal process if warranted. Identifies Ontario Drug Benefit criteria indicators with each patient and or determine means of funding with patient.
13. Notify and educate patient of the reimbursement process. Assist oncology nurses with coordinating the delivery of the treatment (provide prescription and approval to pharmacy; provide Physicians orders to the nursing services for the administrations of the medication).
14. Facilitate renewal process to extend funding for the continuation of therapy.
15. Provide relevant data for patient case files.
16. Work closely with Supportive Care to obtain assistance for patients and provide reimbursement guidance with respects to private insurance claims and co-payment assistance programs.
17. Coordinates with LHIN partners if patient treatment is transferred to other hospitals
18. Support Drug Access needs for the inpatients when appropriate
19. Maintain updated knowledge of the reimbursement challenges and changes in Ontario Drug Benefit Formulary.
20. Develop and maintain a data base to track patients, medication issues and outcomes of interventions, in order to provide ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the outcomes of programs/services.
21. Recommend policies and procedures for effective access to medication coverage.
22. Consult with appropriate programs to facilitate and improve ongoing coordination of financial coverage of medications.
23. Other duties as assigned.
Quality Assurance and Outcome Measurement
24. Expedite weekly quality assurance audits and correspond with designated party for resolution.
25. Provide quarterly statistics to management.
26. Collect data and monitor trends for decision making in order to make program improvements
1. Post-Secondary education with hospital-related certification/Degree, Pharmacy experience and Certification will be given preferred consideration
2. Experience with third party payers and assistance programs
3. Minimum 3 years oncology-related experience in an Acute Care hospital
4. Proven proficiency with computers including word processing, spreadsheet applications and e-mail systems
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
6. Skilled in following specific instructions with a high degree of accuracy
7. Proven excellence in interpersonal, communication, teamwork, problem-solving and organizational skills
8. Demonstrates initiative and is self-directed in identifying issues and resolving them
To be considered for this exciting opportunity please visit the JBH Careers page to apply to posting #201056. We ask that you please include the posting number in the subject line of any email correspondence. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants and only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Any information obtained during the recruitment process will be used for employment recruitment only, and not for any other purpose.
At Joseph Brant Hospital, we are committed to diversity and inclusion as we continue and expand our efforts to become a more inclusive, safe and respectful place for everyone to visit, work and receive care. HR will accommodate any needs under the Ontario Human Right Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Recruitment processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested.
Should you require accommodation through the application and/or recruitment process, please contact HR for assistance at email@example.com or at Ext. 4129 to allow opportunity for appropriate accommodations to be made.