Here at Lakeside Produce we live by 5 core values. Stakeholder Commitment, Customer Focus, Fierce Determination, Striving for Excellence & Being a Team Player. These Values have kept Lakeside Produce growing for over 75 Years. We are looking for team players who are interested in being departmental representatives to lead our core values throughout the organization.
The Head Grower manages and leads staff of growers, assistant growers, and quality control staff engaged in the growing, care and maintenance of the company’s produced vegetables. Directs the application of technical procedures, timing and metering devices that control frequency, amount and type of nutrient applications; regulate humidity, ventilation, temperature and amount of light; and dispense fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and fungicides. Monitors crop development and the removal of substandard plants to maintain quality standards. Other duties may be assigned as necessary. Success in this role will require a commitment to quality, compliance and teamwork, to meet or exceed expectations of Lakeside Produce and its clients.
- Discusses plant growing activities with management personnel to plan for growing activities that are consistent with planned production schedules.
- Plans for space allocation based on production reports and planting schedules.
- Monitors growing conditions and oversees changes in humidity, moisture and temperature and cultivation procedures to ensure conformance with quality control standards.
- Monitors plant development to ascertain conditions such as leaf texture, size and the existence of pests or disease; removing substandard or diseased plants to maintain quality standards.
- Determines rates of fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and fungicides as required by the crops and applies and/or directs the application of them.
- Develops growing procedures for new species in product line and new cultivation techniques.
- Maintains inventory of needed growing supplies such as fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides and fungicides.
- Maintain records of growing techniques and production; reviews records and reports to identify trends and to forecast future space and production needs.
- Plans for and requests staff on a timely basis to ensure their availability during the high-volume growing seasons and schedule overtime as necessary.
- Trains employees in growing techniques and activities.
- Maintains a current knowledge of growing techniques and technologies.
- Maintains an awareness of new state of the art equipment and provides input into equipment and facilities upgrades and replacement.
- Provides pesticide and safety training to all employees and maintenance of records as required by law and regulations
- Oversee production and harvesting forecasting and driving result to achieve set harvest goals per crop
- Ensure that all processes comply with USDA, FDA, CFIA, OHSA, ESA, DOT, MDOT, Human Rights Commission, and MOL, WSIB
- Plan, coordinate and/or supervise activities of employees on assigned project(s) with the Labor Supervisor
- Complete, maintain, and monitor accurate production and department records with the assistance of the Assistant Controller
- Maintain food safety and health and safety protocols training records and employee records as required
- Prepare annual reports and review of department expectations, goals and objectives
- Able to work in cold, hot & humid greenhouse environments
- Walking and standing throughout the day
- Hours may fluctuate according to business needs
Key Skills and Requirements
- 4 year degree in Horticulture, Agriculture or related field and 5 years of related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required
- Thorough knowledge of water lines and awareness of and monitor conditions such as ventilation, light conditions, temperature and humidity
- Must have in depth knowledge of the safe handling and application of chemicals such as fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and fungicides
- Experience & knowledge in crop maintenance, and quality control processes & procedures
- Experience in data collection, data tracking data monitoring & data documentation
Lakeside Produce Inc. is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.
Job Type: Full-time
- large-scale vegetable growing: 3 years (Preferred)