Conuma Coal Resources was founded to be a contributor, positive influence and supporter to our community. We are committed to earning security for all of our partners, and to unifying resources and people to build a “first class” organization recognized for character and true integrity.
Job Title: Uncertified Heavy-Duty Mechanic
Location: Chetwynd, BC - Willow Creek Mine
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When Filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: Full-time / Permanent - 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off) 2x 30-minute breaks per shift
Safely and efficiently diagnose, troubleshoot, service and repair Conuma Coal’s large fleet of mining trucks and equipment.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. In 2016, Conuma acquired Walter Energy’s Canadian assets, which consisted of three metallurgical coal mines in northeast British Columbia. These mines now make up the company’s Canadian operations. The company is well-positioned to meet the world’s growing demand for metallurgical coal products. With ready access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, Conuma is able to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
Health, Safety and Environment
- Ensure adherence to Conuma Coal’s workplace policies and standard operating procedures.
- Maintain a high level of Environmental and Health and Safety performance; identify and report risks, near misses and incidents with the goal of supporting and developing Conuma’s excellent safety standards.
- Attend and participate in all scheduled health, safety and environmental meetings and training.
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair heavy mining equipment and ancillary equipment used in open pit coal mining; such as shovels, drills, haul trucks, loaders, dozers and excavators.
- Follow and comply with all safety, environmental, technical and HR procedures.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement initiatives.
- Respond to mechanical issues both in the maintenance shop and in the field.
- Use hand tools (e.g. wrenches, screwdrivers), air and impact tools (e.g. wrenches, drills), sledge hammers and hydraulic torque equipment.
- Operate materials handling equipment (e.g. hydraulic jacks and hoists, chains, overhead cranes, slings, come-a-longs), ladders, man-lifts, safety harness and lanyard, fork lifts, small loaders, and trucks to access field repairs.
- Report to the Maintenance Supervisor
Qualifications and Experience
- Uncertified - 8000 hours experience in the trade.
- Mining experience preferred.
- Must be able to communicate (read/write/speak) effectively in English.
- Experience with OEM troubleshooting guides and systems preferred.
- Experience creating parts lists from OEM web-based systems such as Caterpillar SIS preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Self-motivated, team player with a positive attitude and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Able to work 12 hour day and night shifts; on a 7 days on / 7 days off rotation.
- Stand/walk/weight bear up to 11 hours daily; occasionally on rough ground; climbing on and around equipment. Frequently bend, twist, reach, push and pull in awkward positions.
- Able to perform work at heights.
- Detail oriented with high attention for working safety.
- Able to work under considerable pressure with high consequence of error (safety and equipment).
- Knowledge of computer maintenance systems an asset.
- Willingness to work in adverse weather conditions.
Work Location / Travel
Conuma’s properties are located in Northeast BC, amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. Working within the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings, First Nations Bands and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock climbing opportunities. Local amenities include medical centres, retail and grocery stores, bars and restaurants with events held throughout the year. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with vastly reduced costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is an outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetwynd and Mackenzie, BC.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place.)
Wage and Benefits
Willow Creek Mining Complex Limited (Conuma Coal Resources) provides comprehensive benefits including:
- $3.50/hr retention bonus paid every 6 months on all hours worked to active employees.
- Paid vacation.
- Extended healthcare.
- RRSP Matching.
- Up to $10,000 relocation allowance.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to Careers @ConumaCoal.com, mentioning the job title you are applying for in the subject line, and indicating your authorization to work in Canada (work permit, permanent resident or Canadian).
Conuma Coal Resources is an equal opportunity employer
PO Box 2140
200-235 Front Street,
Tumbler Ridge, BC V0C2W0
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $47.50 /hour
- English (Required)