Responsible to function under the supervision of the Director, Resident Care, Associate Director Resident Care and Registered Nursing staff by assisting residents to meet their emotional, social, cultural, spiritual and physical needs. As a valued member of Long Term Care and Seniors Services, the Personal Support Worker demonstrates a commitment to resident safety by providing quality care in accordance with the organization’s mission and vision.
1. Provides personal care to residents in accordance with Home policies, and established standard, and recognized nursing principles learned in the Personal Support Worker program.
2. Encourage and assist with transporting residents as needed to support participation in activities to promote the optimum physical, social and emotional well-being of each resident.
3. Observe, report and document to the registered staff any changes in resident’s physical and emotional condition.
4. Provide individual attention to the needs of residents as directed by registered staff and in accordance to the plan of care.
5. Contribute to the residents’ plan of care.
6. Attend and participate in resident high risk rounds, and contribute information and/or attend care conferences as directed.
7. Communicates in a professional manner in accordance to policies and procedures.
8. Accountable for assigned roles in accordance with the Home’s Fire Plan.
9. Assisting in orientation of new staff members.
10. Participate in learning opportunities both inside and outside the organization.
11. Participates in meetings and committees as required.
12. Effectively utilizes all electronic systems provided.
13. Accountable for the completion of all assigned documentation.
14. Provide a customer service focus at all times.
15. Provide care in accordance with the Fundamental Principle and Residents Rights according to the LTCHA.
16. Participates in and demonstrates an understanding of resident safety principles and practices into all day to day activities. Follows all safe work practices and procedures and immediately communicates any activity or action which may constitute a risk to resident safety.
17. Perform other duties as assigned.
18. Works in compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the Long Term Care Homes Act, and their regulations in performing duties in a safe manner and follows all County of Simcoe Health & Safety policies, procedures and legislation.
19. Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and the Personal Health Information Protection Act.
- Completion of, or currently enrolled in the Personal Support Worker Certification program as per the requirements of the Long Term Care Homes Act and Regulations as below:
- (i) the vocational standards established by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities,
- (ii) the standards established by the National Association of Career Colleges, or
- (iii) the standards established by the Ontario Community Support Association; and
- must be a minimum of 600 hours in duration, counting both class time and practical experience time.
- Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening that is less than six (6) months old at time of hire.
- As a condition of employment, candidates are required to submit documented results of TB testing, as per Public Health requirements.
- Previous work experience with seniors or in a long term care facility.
- Significant physical effort required on a daily basis when assisting residents.
- Frequent walking, standing, stooping, turning, bending and lifting.
- This position is located in a long term care facility, exposure to illnesses and germs are possible on a daily basis.
- Work schedule to be determined; shifts will include days, evenings, nights and weekends.
As per the collective agreement or non-union job band.
Georgian Manor (Non-Union): $23.05 - $25.94
Simcoe Manor, Sunset Manor, Trillium Manor (SEIU Service): $24.49 - $26.80
*Pay for experience is available*