The Canadian Muslim Women’s Institute Inc. (CMWI) is a non-profit organization founded in 2006. Its goal is to promote and empower refugee and newcomer women and their families socially, economically and spiritually. CMWI is a direct service delivery organization serving its members through a variety of programs and services that cater to the needs of immigrants and refugees. By creating a community that supports and strengthens refugee and newcomer women, CMWI plays a transformative role in enabling them to make informed decisions for themselves and their families; foster sound emotional health, stability and personal development; and achieve self-sufficiency and financial independence.
The experienced Accountant will be responsible for all financial matters of this growing organization. The right candidate must be a self-starter and able to work independently to perform and manage all aspects of accounting, bookkeeping, budgeting, and payroll functions in an efficient, responsible, and timely manner. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and the organization’s Board of Directors.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Completion of an accounting degree from a recognized institution
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in accounting preferably in the non-profit sector
- A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered
- Proficient in grant fund accounting and financial reporting
- In depth experience working with Sage 50 and Quick Books
- Demonstrated ability in financial and accounting practices
- Knowledge of Accounting Standards for Non-Profit Organizations
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements for processing payroll and filing requirements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process
- Strong organizational, planning, and time management skills
- Non-judgmental and accepting attitude, with the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to follow direction and make decisions within the parameters of the job
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong ability to work independently and as a team member
- Exceptional computer skills - Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Any other duties as assigned
Duties and Responsibilities
Accounting & Bookkeeping
- Perform all bookkeeping duties including (but not limited to): verify, code and record all invoices in the accounting software (Quick Books and Sage 50)
- Prepare cheques, cheque requisitions, monthly bank reconciliations, month end and year end adjusting entries and accruals.
- Prepare and make daily bank deposits.
- Monitor financial activities and ensure that all expenses are incurred in accordance with the budget, and revenues are received as scheduled
- Ensure spending are in accordance with the annual budget and in compliance with funding agreement
- Input, store, update and retrieve financial data within Sage 50 and Quick Books
- Prepare and analyze monthly and annual financial statements, accounts payables, accounts receivables and accrued liabilities.
- Maintain appropriate filing for all invoices, contracts, returns, documents etc.
- Prepare year-end audit working papers and coordinate with the auditors for year-end audit.
- Prepare and distribute Charitable Receipts in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency requirements.
- Maintain fixed assets schedule and calculate and record related amortization
- Reconcile multiple grants and other funding using excel
- Prepare reports, budgets and sales invoices for the Social Enterprise; record and monitor revenues, expenses and accounts receivables.
Budget Preparation and Financial Reporting
- Prepare and present budgets for operations and programs, monthly financial reports, summary of all revenues and disbursements to the Chief Operating Officer and Board of Directors
- Analyze financial information and summarize financial status
- Investigate and explain variances from budget in the monthly financial reports
- Prepare and file annual Registered Charity Information Return, GST Return, Business Return, payroll Source Deductions Returns, WCB and all other mandatory required reports and information
- Complete employees ROE and file with the relevant government agency
- Ensure adherence to all funder financial reporting requirements
- Prepare and submit financial reports to all funders as outlined in funding agreements.
- Liaison with agencies, funders, vendors, Board of Directors and Staff Leadership.
- Calculate and process semi-monthly payroll
- Review and amend as required: T4 and T4A Summary and slips and ensures timely filing with CRA
- Conduct regular review of financial policies to ensure legal compliance with Accounting Standards, Employment Standards and CRA
- Any other duties as assigned
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Candidate must be prepared to undergo a Satisfactory Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry check.
A valid driver’s license and a vehicle is an asset.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $25.00 /hour
- accounting: 3 years (Preferred)
- CMA (Preferred)
- CA (Preferred)
- CGA (Preferred)