About Bench Brewing:
Bench Brewing is an experiential craft brewery located in the world-renowned wine region of Niagara, Ontario. Surrounded by Ontario’s finest agricultural land, our location provides the ideal setting for crafting great, approachable beers that reflect our local terroir.
The Bench Brewing campus sits across eight beautiful acres and features a 50hL brewing system, a tap and tasting room, a beer garden, a ‘funk house’ for our wild ale and barrel fermentation program, and our very own hops field. Our brewery is a place for our guests to relax, learn, and experience the craft of brewing beer.
Reporting to the Director of Brewing Operations, the Lab Technician plays an integral part of the day to day operations at Bench. The successful candidate will gain valuable hands on experience in a fast paced and innovative craft brewery!
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Responsible for leading all aspects of quality testing including recording and reporting, daily beer checks, microbial testing, PCR and Plating, sample collection measurements on beer chemistry, beer carbon dioxide, packaging materials, and quality of finished package
- Take measurements and conduct standardized tests on beer/wort to ensure compliance with Bench quality standards
- Responsible for ensuring complete and accurate analytical data is captured for all required testing
- Ensure corrective action is taken and implemented, work collaboratively with Operations teams when product fails to meet the required specifications
- Responsible for placing any non-conforming product on hold and provide support in any rework of finished goods
- Responsible for investigating product concerns, complaints, and/or packaging issues
- Responsible for internal calibration, routine cleaning/maintenance, and troubleshooting on critical lab equipment
- Perform all analytical and sensory routine testing on in-process samples and finished product
- Lead weekly sensory testing, document and analyze results, provide action oriented recommendations
- Active member of the JHSC, conducting workplace inspections, promoting accident prevention, and implementing training procedures and SOPs
The ideal candidate will have:
· University Degree in Chemistry, Biology or a Food Science related field
· Experience in a Commercial and Craft Production Brewery is considered an asset
· Advanced knowledge of beer offerings (flavors, ingredients, etc.)
· Demonstrated passion for and interest in beer and craft brewing
· Strong technical knowledge of all aspects of the brewing laboratory process
· Knowledge in GMP’s and HACCP principles
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Team player and a quality leader
· The drive to win as a team – collaborating to achieve success is what we do here at Bench
· A willingness to lift the occasional keg or case of beer!
If you have the entrepreneurial spirit and are motivated to work in a fast-paced, fun environment with like-minded people who love what they do, we want to hear from you!
Bench Brewing Company is an equal opportunity employer. We value workplace diversity and inclusion and are committed to providing employees with a work environment free from discrimination and harassment. Our hiring decisions are made on the basis of candidate qualifications, competence, merit and business needs. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process by contacting Human Resources.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Store discount
- Vision care
- What are your compensation expectations?
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Laboratory: 2 years (preferred)
- PCR and Plating: 2 years (preferred)
- Craft or Commercial Brewery: 2 years (preferred)