About International Gateway Kelowna:
Established in 2002, International Gateway Kelowna is one of the oldest and most trusted English as a second language school in Kelowna, Canada.
IGK provides impeccable ESL classes to help students and adults speak English with fluency. IGK is not just any other English speaking school. IGK aims at providing its students a great learning experience that helps them inculcate various other practical skills. IGK offers innumerable exciting programs for students to keep learning enjoyable and easy. What makes IGK so outstanding is its services.
Administrative, Interpersonal /liaison between teachers and management, data management. Reports to Manager of Academic Affairs. Works in cooperation with the management of Operations, Marketing, Accounting, and Executive staff. Manages, schedules, and directs ESL Teaching staff.
Academic Leadership and Direction
- Promotes a high level of performance through the recruitment, training, professional development and evaluation of full time staff in the school
- Develops, maintains, and supervises a pool of qualified contract school to teach
- Ensures all newly hired school teachers are TESL trained
- Actively engages self and school in reflective practice
- Directs and administers the activities of school in their teaching assignments ensuring that school and staff assignments are consistent with school policies, collective agreements and procedures
- Creates a positive and collaborative working environment that enhances the teaching/learning process
- Uses a range of conflict resolution processes for handling disputes involving school, staff and students in the context of collective agreements and other school policies
- Promotes the principles and practices of equity, diversity and inclusiveness
- Maintains a working environment of respect
- Manage student intakes..
- Manage Teacher Payroll reporting. Plan, and hire staff (teachers and volunteers/classroom helpers) for seasonal children’s and youth’s ESL program (Summer and Winter).
- Curriculum development as necessary.
- Monitor teacher performance/student issues during the program.
- Manage textbook availability.
- Occasional administrative and clerical as needed.
- Make changes to Campus administrative system as needed (room changes, class changes, course changes).
- Manage planned teacher absence / vacation requests.
- Prepare and maintain completed teacher files.
- Prepare ESL teacher contracts.
- Arrange working groups to discuss and review the curriculum.
- Review syllabus, course outline, and textbook of courses as needed.
- Under the guidance of the Manager of Academics, arrange regular ESL teacher meetings.
- Please check the link below for a list of (Canadian) TESL- approved credentials.
- We cannot consider applicants who do not qualify:
- Bachelor’s Degree in English combined with a Master’s degree in Education
- TESL/TEFL/TESOL certificate
- 3 years of progressive experience in a leadership capacity delivering a range of English/ESL courses and/or programs in a post-secondary setting
- 3 years of experience teaching post-secondary English courses
- Demonstrated management skills, including financial management, planning, organizing, project management and implementation; public relations and marketing skills
- Experience with IELTS testing
- Critical understanding of issues relating to language-across-the-curriculum, second language acquisition, the integration of all language skills and the use of instructional technology
- Proven leadership ability with students, faculty, staff, and government agencies within a multicultural community
- Dispute resolution skills and diplomacy to facilitate consultation and to manage conflicting needs of constituents
- Demonstrated understanding and ability to supervise staff in a unionized environment is essential
- Ability to set and achieve priorities and work within budget
- Awareness and sensitivity to cross-cultural communication
- Promotes knowledge and understanding of working effectively in a diverse environment
Expected start date: 2021-08-02
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: $52,000.00-$65,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Kelowna, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- Do you have valid TESL/TEFL/TESOL/CELTA/DELTA certificate?
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Teaching: 3 years (preferred)