Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
Reporting to the Manager of in patient cardiology, the Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) practices independently within their scope of practice when the patient(s) condition indicates predictable outcome. The RPN delivers nursing care based on a pre-set plan of care with a delineated range of intervention. Collaboration is required from the RN in situations that are beyond the scope of complexity designated to the RPN. You will provide exceptional “customer service” to patients and families within an inter-professional, team environment. You demonstrate professional accountability for your practice and are able to identify and pursue opportunities to meet your learning needs. You may be scheduled at the General or Birchmount campus based on departmental needs.
Company Vacancy/Request for Transfer:
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
- Graduate of an RPN diploma program
- Coronary 1 course completed or in progress
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Current BCLS
- Demonstrates excellence in patient care
- Demonstrated assessment skills within the RPN scope of practice
- Strong patient care focus
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates a commitment to customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues and volunteers and other members of the community and public
- Demonstrates values consistent with SHN’s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation
- Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to SHN's comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff safety, patient safety, and environmental safety and participates in regular in-service education in this area
- Demonstrates excellent work performance and attendance record
- Patient Assessment course
- Previous cardiology or telemetry experience
- Experience in a medical unit for 1 year or more
- Completion of or a willingness to complete within 1 year of hire the Cardiology Certificate
- Ability to speak another language an asset
- Willingness to participate in continuing education and unit based initiatives such as LEAN Unit Councils, Audits etc.
- Computer literacy and or familiarity with e-documentation, an asset
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more about our exciting opportunities by following us on Twitter at: SHNCareers