WHO WE ARE
The Tsleil-Waututh Nation People currently reside on the North Shore of Vancouver, BC. Since time immemorial we have occupied Village sites all around səl̓ilẃ ət, also known as Burrard Inlet. This is how we have come to be the People of the Inlet. Revitalization is important at Tsleil-Waututh, where you will see our language, culture, and stewardship of the lands and waters returned to our people and we are once again prospering the same way our Ancestors had for so many years. We are one of the most progressive Nations in North America because we have deep cultural and spiritual roots, as well as a great affinity for the land and water. This is reflected in our work and interaction with the world at large. Working with the Tsleil-Waututh Nation is a unique opportunity as you will experience the wealth of Culture and strength of business practices.
The Early Childhood Educator works under the direction of the Manager, Tsleil-Waututh Nation Child and Family Development Centre and in cooperation with staff to provide quality, inclusive child care and family support services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure the Infant/Toddler program meets all requirements of the Child Care Licensing Regulations on a daily
- Adhere to the Child and Family Development Centre’s philosophy and Schedule D&G of the Child Care Licensing Regulation
- Building a curriculum that is developmentally appropriate for children under
- Prepare activity documentation to support childcare learning
- Cooperate with management and staff to individualize the curriculum and family
- Ensure guidance of children that encourages positive self-esteem.
- Ensure positive communications with parents/guardians.
- Contribute to the on-going operation of the
- Facilitate a respectful conflict resolution process when dealing with difficult staff and parent/guardian issues.
- Implement a problem solving approach with practical solutions when faced with difficult
- Maintain a neat, orderly and clean environment in all activity and program
- Maintain confidentiality of all information related to the Centre, staff, children and their
- Encourage potty training and/or change diapers when
- Supervising while children are eating and bottle feeding
- Ensure that children are safe at all times and recognize children who are potentially at risk and take appropriate
- Perform other related duties as
- Early Childhood Educator Certificate
- Infant/Toddler License to Practice an asset.
- Bachelors’ degree in related field is an
- Previous experience of 1 year working with children in a child care/recreation
- Valid First Aid/CPR
- Up-to-date record of immunizations and tuberculosis
- Statement from a medical practitioner indicating adequate physical and psychological capability to work with children and carry out assigned
- Willingness to participate in work-related courses, seminars and training as
- Must maintain regular attendance and be flexible to accommodate changing
- Previous experience working in a First Nations community and/or organization is an
- Must successfully pass a Criminal Records
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong work ethic and positive team
- Self-motivated and proactive when dealing with
- Above average ability to work independently, multi-task, time management, organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication
- Anticipates and is consistently responsive and responsible to address issues and concerns at work.
- Ability to mentor and coach
- Ability to be adaptable to change in varied
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of the Tsleil-Waututh Child & Family Development Centre Family Handbook.
- Knowledge of early childhood development, observation and
- Understanding of early childhood curriculum, assessment, evaluation and
- Knowledge of First Nations cultures and backgrounds is an
- Physical demands:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; reach and lift. Must be able to lift up to 15 kgs and move/react quickly to ensure the safety of
- Must be able to get down to the child’s level and be on the
b) Mental Demands
- This role requires the ability to manage a number of requests and situations at one
c) Environmental Conditions
- The work environment is active and noise levels vary from quiet to
- Indoor and outdoor
- Risk of illness or infection from changing diapers, cleaning body fluids and performing first aid
WHY WORK FOR TSLEIL-WAUTUTH NATION?
Training and career development
Business casual office
Community fitness & gym access
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- Early Childhood Education: 1 year (Required)
- Early Childhood Education (Required)