Date Posted: April 28, 2021
Posting #: 21-0662
Position: Reactivation Worker
Status: Permanent Part-Time
Program: Mental Health and Addictions
Department: Acute Inpatient Psychiatry
Site: Ramsey Lake Health Centre (RLHC)
Assist in establishing and maintaining a safe and therapeutic environment through engagement and
interaction with the patients, and general observation of the unit.
Under the direction of the Clinical Manager, Acute In-Patient Psychiatry.
1. Assist the clinical team in the development and maintenance of a therapeutic environment.
2. Instruct and guide patients through recommended treatment and activity programs both
individually and in groups.
3. Work collaboratively with the clinical team to best meet the unit and patient’s needs.
4. Implement and guide patients through recommended treatment and activity programs both
individually and in groups as directed by the therapist (e.g. receive and prepare patients for
treatment, assist with treatment modalities, activities of daily living, walking program and
transfers, communication skills, etc.).
5. Instruct the patient in the use of equipment, and adaptive devices as directed by the therapist.
6. Assist with patient referrals and/or patient scheduling in accordance with unit practices under the
direction of the therapist.
7. Maintain an inventory of equipment, devices and materials; ensure cleanliness and tidiness of
equipment and environment.
8. Maintain a safe environment by caring for equipment breakdowns, remove hazards, complete
maintenance requisitions and notify therapist.
9. Document patient intervention in the health record as per unit requirements.
10. Report observation of patient’s behaviour, progress and concerns to the assigning therapist.
11. Work collaboratively with the clinical team to best meet the unit or patient’s needs.
12. Maintain relevant statistical information.
13. Assist the clinical team in the development and maintenance of a therapeutic environment.
14. Evaluate patient care and satisfaction on an ongoing basis and formulate solutions for
15. Determine and align improvement projects with HSN’s Strategic Plan; monitor and adjust to
achieve goal outcomes.
16. Participate in education and training specific to current, relevant federal and provincial health and
safety legislation, standards and guidelines.
17. Educate and promote health, safety and wellness in the work place.
18. Represent the department or program on various committees and in meetings as required.
19. Perform other duties as required.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
1. Minimum of a two (2) year Diploma in a related health care field, from an accredited college.
2. Current Certificate as an Occupational Therapist Assistant (OTA), Physiotherapist Assistant
(PTA), or a Rehabilitation Assistant is required.
3. Ministry of Labour “Worker Health and Safety Awareness in 4 Steps” training certificate is
1. Minimum of two (2) years’ experience working in a health care environment.
1. Demonstrated training and knowledge of geriatric syndromes.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of recovery and patient-centered approaches.
3. Demonstrated ability to assist in the development and maintenance of a therapeutic environment.
4. Demonstrated ability to instruct and guide patients through recommended treatment and activity
programs both individually and in groups.
5. Demonstrated training, experience or utilization of lean methodology for process improvement.
6. Demonstrated ability to independently identify issues, plan improvements, measure success and
7. Demonstrated excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office software (e.g. Word,
Excel, Power Point and Outlook) and patient information systems.
8. Demonstrated superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
9. Demonstrated ability to manage routine correspondence, multiple tasks/projects, diversified
workload and rapidly changing priorities and challenging deadlines.
10. Demonstrated discretion and maturity when handling confidential information.
11. Demonstrated commitment to the safety of co-workers and patients.
1. Successful criminal reference check is required for vulnerable sector.
2. Ability to use tact and discretion in dealing with health care providers and patients.
3. Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
4. Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development.
5. Demonstrated professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
6. Demonstrated positive work record and good attendance record.
7. Ability to meet the physical and sensory demands of the job.
8. Ability to travel between local sites.
Selection Process: Candidates will be selected for this position on the basis of their skill, ability,
experience and relevant qualifications as identified in the resume and completed
Application Form submitted. Where these factors are relatively equal, seniority
shall govern. HSN reserves the right to conduct a formal interview/testing
process where required, which may include (but not limited to), a written or
practical examination or both to determine skill and ability.
Shift: Days and Evenings
Bilingualism is an Asset
N.B. Applications for this position must be submitted to the Human Resources Department before 1600
hours on May 13, 2021.