South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides primary healthcare, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention primarily to people of East Toronto. Our mission is to improve the lives of people that face barriers to physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being. We do so by meaningfully engaging our clients and communities, ensuring equitable access to primary health care and delivering quality care through a range of evidence informed programs, services and approaches. As a leader in community health, our locally and internationally recognized community services include cutting-edge primary health services, health promotion, harm reduction, environmental health, community food centre and population-based community programs for marginalized peoples. We value health equity and inclusion and respect in our work and in the delivery of our services.
The Harmony Hall Centre for Seniors program of SRCHC empowers and connects seniors 55+ by delivering transportation, recreational and support services in East Toronto. Services are provided in Bengali, Chinese, English and Tamil.
Pending funding from the Canada Summer Jobs Program with Employment and Social Development Canada, the Harmony Hall Centre for Seniors program is looking to fill five (5) summer youth positions as follows:
- Community Organization Worker – Bengali
- Community Organization Worker – Chinese
- Community Organization Worker – English
- Community Organization Worker – Tamil
- Community Worker
These positions are expected to work onsite.
Please submit your cover letter and resume only if you qualify as a summer youth. (See below for qualification criteria).
General responsibilities for all positions:
- Assist with the promotion, implementation and maintenance of programs and activities
- Assist with SRCHC’s client survey; connect with clients via phone, social media, Zoom or other virtual platforms; engage with clients accessing services; collection and analyzing of qualitative data, reporting
- Provide administrative support to staff and projects e.g. data entry
- Assist with the development of promotional materials including newsletters and flyers
- Assist in the day-to-day activities of the Centre
- Other duties as required
Additional responsibilities specific to Community Organization Worker:
- Work with the specific language program at Harmony Hall Centre for Seniors
- Support the Program Facilitator with collecting and maintaining activity records and statistics
- The ability to speak in the language for the program is required to assist in day-to-day programming
Additional responsibilities specific to Community Worker:
- Assist in the development of food access plans and programs at SRCHC
- Assist in programming focused on food security and work involving food access, i.e. participating with meal preparation, meal program distribution, the Good Food Market
- Be between 15-30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
- Secondary, post-secondary, vocational or technical program education in the field of social work, social service, or health-related studies
- Ability to speak in the language for the specific program (i.e., Bengali, Cantonese or Mandarin, English, Tamil), as required to assist in day-to-day programming
- Ability to read and write in the language for the specific program is an asset
- Interest in community health and working with marginalized groups
- Demonstrated respect for diversity, equity, anti-racism and accessibility with the ability to work collaboratively and positively with others
- Strong research, evaluation and analysis skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Interest in food security and food access
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology and various computer software applications
- Technically savvy
- Ability to work in a team environment with diverse communities
- Police clearance documentation will be required for employment
- Proof of triple COVID-19 vaccination status will be required for employment
The deadline for applicants is Friday, March 24, 2023 12 12:00 np.m. (noon).
Please mail in your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee- Harmony Hall Summer Position
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
Or by email to: [email protected]
Please enter “Harmony Hall Summer Position” in the subject line of your email.
Please clearly indicate the specific position(s) you are applying for in your cover letter.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
This is a non-bargaining unit position.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages applicants who are racialized (IBPOC) and/or applicants who face any barriers as a result of systemic discrimination to apply for this position.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.