About Habitat for Humanity Victoria
Habitat for Humanity Victoria is a local charity that brings communities together to help families build strength, stability and independence through affordable homeownership. As part of a global movement, Habitat works toward a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live. Our mission is to build affordable housing and promote homeownership as a means to breaking the cycle of poverty through the mobilization of volunteers and community partners.
About the Opportunity
Building homes and providing families in need the opportunity to build strength, stability and independence through affordable homeownership is at the heart of Habitat for Humanity’s mission. Habitat Victoria seeks a thoughtful, patient and detail-oriented professional to lead its Homeowner Services and Volunteer programs. This is an exciting time to join our organization as we ramp to our largest intake of families to date!
Reporting to the CEO, the Homeowner Services & Outreach Manager is responsible for developing and recommending policies and procedures related to the Programs. The Manager leads and supports the activities that identify, screen, and select future Habitat homeowners, and they guide and monitor applicants and future Habitat homeowners through the process leading to the purchase of their Habitat home and beyond.
The Homeowner Services & Outreach Manager also oversees delivery of the volunteer engagement program through the supervision of the Volunteer Coordinator, as well as identifying and ensuring the delivery of a broad range of outreach initiatives to engage and educate the community. The Family Services & Outreach Manager is be part of the senior management team, leading and executing policy and program deliverables to significantly enhance community reach and impact, and ensure the success of Habitat homeowners.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience leading and implementing social (or educational programs), if possible in provision of low income housing, preferably 1 year at a supervisory level
- Bachelor of Social Work desired, equivalent experience or comparable certification considered
- Superior verbal and written communication skills with the ability to diplomatically and effectively interact with a diverse group of stakeholders – applicants, donors, volunteers, Habitat homeowners, business leaders, funders, colleagues and other supporters
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive matters.
- Skilled in problem solving and conflict resolution, with effective listening skills and sensitivity to cultural nuances
- Strong project management skills: organized, detail oriented with capacity to multi-task & prioritize
- Comfortable with speaking in public
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel (or equivalents); comfortable with computer application software
- Experience with volunteer recruitment/management preferred
- Experience in rental, real estate or mortgage industries an asset
- Valid BC Driver’s License (must be maintained)
- Use of own vehicle may be required
- First Aid training is may be required (will be provided where necessary)
- Clear Police Records check for vulnerable sector
- Occasional weekend/evening work
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Review, revise, develop and recommend policies relating to Homeowner Services and Volunteer/Outreach departments for approval by the CEO and Board of Directors. These include polices relating to: Mortgages, Family Partnering, Family Selection, with input into other relevant affiliate-wide polices.
- Review, revise and develop procedures for the Homeowner Services and Volunteer/Outreach departments
- Develop yearly business planning and departmental reporting to the CEO
- Develop and maintain relationships with social, community service agencies and other organizations by seeking, responding to and conducting presentations to a wide range of groups.
- Establish strategic partnerships that will expand knowledge of and interest in the Homeownership Program, and increase quality applicants.
- Working with appropriate staff, develop clear, comprehensive outreach material, presentations and collateral for the Homeownership and Volunteer Programs
- Ensure that accurate intake and outreach information is maintained on the Habitat website
- Identify and implement outreach opportunities (such as public events, markets, at schools, churches, etc) to engage and educate the public.
- Working with appropriate Affiliate team members, coordinate effective and impactful marketing of the Homeownership and Volunteer programs..
Family Outreach & Selection
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships within the community that will enhance the success of the future Habitat homeowners as they transition from rental into homeownership.
- Oversee the entire intake process for all applications, including the review of Homeownership Inquires, all follow-up calls to determine eligibility, and the complete application process across all interfaces (in person, phone, on-line, etc).
- Develop, revise, maintain and coordinate family information presentations as needed.
- Chair the Family Selection Committee, and recruit and train volunteers to assist with family selection and the provision of educational modules.
Family Training & Support
- Develop, revise and ensure core training material is up-to-date, accurate and effectively meets the language and learning needs of our families
- Deliver orientation to newly approved families and ensure all future homeowners are well informed about the process and expectations of the program and receive all required documents
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive program overview/booklet, with timelines, critical dates and key events, as well as required documentation and financial obligations to ensure all Habitat future homeowners understand the program and process; Regularly check in with families to ensure understanding and program compliance
- Develop, maintain and file all required collateral, agreements waivers, financial information, etc for all applicants and future homeowners
- Coordinate future homeowner educational workshops and lead/instruct as required,
- Recruit volunteers/instructors as needed; Ensure they are well-versed in Habitat’s programs, policies and procedures, and can effectively and accurately deliver the homeowner training modules
- Attend workshops and monitor mandatory attendance by future homeowners
- Monitor timely completion of “sweat equity” hours and ensure future homeowners are meeting the required hours per policy Maintain regular contact with families to manage expectations/ deliverables
- Identify “sweat equity” opportunities that add value to the organization
- Develop and deliver post-homeownership questionnaire, evaluating the experience of the family in all aspects of the HFHV program
- Develop and coordinate a Habitat Homeowner Newsletter as needed.
- Working with the CEO and HFHV legal counsel, appraisers and Finance Manager, coordinate information required for the Purchase and Sale and mortgage document preparation
- Work with families to ensure they fully understand the process and their financial obligations, have all required documents, and have secured independent legal counsel
- Oversee the annual income review process and liaise with families to ensure prompt and accurate compliance with document submissions
- In collaboration with finance department, monitor mortgage payments of partner families, taking appropriate action in the case of mortgage delinquency.
- Ensure Habitat homeowners have appropriate house insurance that meets policy requirements.
- Coordinate pre-delivery inspection / walk-through to identify any deficiencies to be repaired/addressed by HFHV
- Ensure that families are provided with all required Home Warranty policies, information and expiry dates, as well as with warranty forms and information for appliances and other items warrantied by vendors in the home
- Manage the relationship between Habitat homeowners and HFHV staff for all homeowner warranty issues; arrange for repair/replacement as required in consultation with appropriate HFHV staff
Events and Media
- Coordinate all homeowner/build-related events, such as sod-turnings and dedication/key ceremonies with other HFHV staff/departments
- Work with Marketing staff to ensure family profile and media opportunities are managed as needed
- Compile, complete and maintain files on Habitat homeowner information in database/files/binders to ensure accuracy of all records
- Prepare all forms/information necessary for annual partner family financial reviews
- Draft all correspondence as required to applicants and homeowner families
- Attend Board Meetings as required to present Family Selection Committee recommendations
- Attend regular team meetings to plan and prioritize work according to business needs
- Work collaboratively with other HFHV departments to ensure business goals are met
- Other duties as assigned by the CEO
APPLICATION PROCESS - REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
If this position sounds interesting, please email with BOTH of the following:
- a cover letter telling us why you’re excited to join our committed team of professionals and why you see yourself as the right fit for the role;
- a resume which highlights your skills and background as they specifically relate to the position.
For more information visit Habitatvictoria.com/Careers
Applications will be considered until the position is filled with a great candidate!
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
- social program: 5 years (Preferred)
- supervisory: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- Victoria, BC (Required)
- Class 5 Drivers License (Required)