Wednesday – Sunday (35 hours/week) June 26 – mid- August, 2019
Student position as Cultural Heritage Assistant at Wesleyville Village in Port Hope ON, to provide support in planning and delivering events, community and indigenous cultural heritage research, conservation activities, developing communications strategies and materials and co-ordinating fund-raising and member support.
Work Tasks and Responsibilities:
· Support Friends of Wesleyville Village (FOWV) scheduled summer events, including facility rentals and Step Inside Sundays.
· Assist with restoration/conservation activities and promotion at the heritage Church, Y-house and Schoolhouse.
· Research cultural history of the Wesleyville area with a special project on the history of indigenous peoples and their relationship with the land and natural resources, including consultation with indigenous community members regarding publication and a possible celebratory event.
· Develop publicity, educational and various media communication materials for FOWV Board approval.
· Participate with FOWV board in nature trail, cycling, heritage research & tourism development.
· Assist with membership and fund-raising initiatives.
· Other duties as required.
· This position is a summer job for a college or university student who was enrolled full time in the previous academic year and will return to school in the fall.
· Student must be between the ages of 18 and 30 years of age.
. Must hold a valid drivers licence.
Education & Knowledge:
· Studies in Cultural and Natural History, Indigenous Studies, Event Management, Communications, Heritage Conservation, Archaeology/Anthropology or a related field;
· Some evidence of self-directed work;
· Familiar with Microsoft office suite and electronic management systems;
· Some knowledge of Port Hope’s local history and tourism initiatives, or the willingness to learn.
Skills & Abilities:
· Interpersonal skills;
· Oral and written communication;
· Literacy and numeracy;
· Job task planning and organizing.
· Ability to deal with multiple demands and priorities
· Personable, demonstrates initiative
· Ability to work independently and in a team environment
A grant has been received through the Canada Summer Jobs program from Service Canada to fund a work week of 35 hours for 8 weeks. This work period could be extended if warranted by employee performance and event necessity. The Friends of Wesleyville Village is an equity employer that does not discriminate against people from diverse backgrounds and encourages applications from visible minorities and Aboriginal peoples. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $15.00 /hour
- college/university studies: 1 year (Preferred)
- Secondary School (Required)
- Northumberland, ON (Preferred)
- Driver's Licence (Required)