Nishnawbe-Aski Legal Services Corporation (NALSC) is a unique legal services organization governed by a First Nation Board of Directors with its administrative office in Thunder Bay. The Corporation provides legal, paralegal, public legal education, law reform, restorative justice, and victim witness services to the members of First Nations of Nishnawbe-Aski Nation (NAN). This innovative legal service places substantial responsibility for the administration of justice and the provision of all legal services to the members of NAN.
The Victim Witness Liaison program is mandated to improve the quality of services to crime victims and witnesses of crime. NALSC is presently recruiting a part-time Victim Witness Liaison worker to provide these services to NAN First Nations.
Victim Witness Assistant
Working under the direction of the Victim Witness Liaison Supervisor, The Victim Witness Assistant will help with administrative tasks and duties as required by the Victim Witness supervisor. These duties will include scheduling and timesheets, meeting meetings minutes, and other duties as assigned. The Victim Witness assistant will also have the opportunity to assist victim/witness of all ages in dealing with the consequences of victimization and helps them through the criminal justice process.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in social work, mental health, paralegal, or related field
- Ability to counsel/relate to people with emotional situations
- Experience with the Euro-Canadian legal system and knowledge of Aboriginal justice systems
- Experience in program management and planning
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment
- Computer skills in word processing using MS Word
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Must be willing and able to travel extensively
- Valid driver’s license with reliable vehicle
- Ability to speak Cree, Oji-cree or Ojibway an asset
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Salary: To be determined based on education and experience
Closing Date: Friday, February 22, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. E.S.T
Please send cover letter, resume and three (3) references to:
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time