Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Please note, this is a temporary full-time contract position with an expected end date of November 30, 2023.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Western’s Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry is a leading Canadian Centre of outstanding education and research shaping health care for the next generation. The Schulich Dentistry team strives to obtain international recognition through excellence in dental education, research, and patient care. To foster that vision, Schulich Dentistry develops the knowledge and skills in dental professionals to provide exemplary care to the diverse communities that we serve and to influence the future of undergraduate and postgraduate dental education through scholarly inquiry, innovation, and research. The Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry is the largest Faculty on campus and employs over 2,000 part-time and full time faculty and over 1,000 staff.
The Autoclave/Warewash Technician (Reprocessing Clerk) will provide sterile reprocessing duties and related support and service to faculty and students in the Dentistry Dispensary, to ensure that instrumentation, equipment and other materials are sterilized and available for use. The role will facilitate the sterilization of equipment in adherence to infection control procedures, clinic protocols, policies, and procedures, ensuring the needs of the patients, students, and faculty are met.
- Medical Device Reprocessing Certificate
- Completion of all 9 of Public Health Ontario’s modules on Reprocessing in the Community
- First Aid Training
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 1 year of experience in a fast paced work environment providing customer service
- Experience in sterilization and infection control in a dental clinic environment preferred
- Experience with Dental Terminology preferred
- Knowledge of infection control and sterilization standards
- Verbal communication skills to clearly express ideas in an objective manner, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Demonstrated ability take initiative, to work independently and follow through on work assignments
- Ability to apply active listening to hear and understand the complete message being communicated
- Ability to establish rapport with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Ability to multi-task and maintain an organized and effective personal work environment
- Adapts readily and effectively to changing priorities and demands
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students and faculty
- Ability to demonstrate patience and focus to complete detailed tasks
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Basic proficiency required in Microsoft Office in order to prepare correspondence, emails and input departmental data into spreadsheets and databases
- Proven ability to follow and ensure adherence with procedures that ensure safety
- Due to the operations of multiple clinical areas, the Reprocessing Clerk’s work schedule fluctuates periodically and may require ability to early morning and work evening shifts
Western welcomes applications from all qualified individuals; however, it is the university's policy to give first consideration to all qualified UWOSA applicants.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.