With over 120 years of experience in North America, Soletanche Bachy Canada (“SB Canada”) is an established leader in the deep foundations industry. Through our affiliation with the Soletanche Freyssinet group of companies, SB Canada combines local experience with international expertise so our partners can confidently “Build on Us”. Our employees enjoy a safe and stable work environment and a competitive compensation package based on skills and experience.
SB Canada is currently seeking a Health, Safety and Environmental Coordinator to join our organization for a full time position working in Port Hope, ON. If you currently reside within this area, we want to talk to you.
The HSE Coordinator will report to the Senior Construction HSE Specialist and is responsible for the direct support of Project and site specific HSE management. This position will be based at our Port Hope site office, The successful candidate will be required to report to the Hamilton, ON Head office sporadically.
As HSE Coordinator, the Employee is required to perform the following duties:
- Ensure compliance of SBC Health, Safety and Environmental Management System with all federal and provincial Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- Maintain knowledge of relevant OH&S Acts, Regulations, industry best practices and other applicable legislation
- Accountable for the site level implementation and management of SB CANADA’s HSE program to ensure a safe working environment.
- Work closely with SBC’s Senior Construction Health and Safety Specialist to drive continuous improvements to SBC’s HSE Program.
- Display a commitment to SBC’s incident-free vision, values, and culture and lead corporate safety initiatives by positive example
- Provide guidance, direction, and support to all operational teams and Supervisory-level employees to ensure SBC’s Health, Safety and Environmental Management System is fully implemented and maintained;
- Manage relationships with clients, contractors, suppliers and all operational teams to communicate the safety performance on site;
- Represent SB CANADA at meetings with clients, general contractors and association meetings
- Work directly with clients to identify and control site-specific hazards;
- Attend or chair site specific kick off or progress meetings as required;
- Conduct daily audits to Inspect, investigate, and assess hazards in the workplace to ensure compliance with relevant legislation;
- Monitor the performance of all subcontractors and ensure that all are prequalified through SBC’s program;
- Immediately intervene whenever at-risk behaviors or hazards are identified;
- Communicate audit findings with operational teams to ensure hazards are mitigated in a timely manner;
- Investigate all incidents, perform root cause analysis, recommend and aid in the implementation of corrective actions;
- Complete incident reports and relevant data input into Health and Safety Management Systems
- Communicate incidents, injuries and safety concerns to all operational and safety teams as required;
- Follow up on corrective actions from all incident investigations to ensure timely implementation;
- Administer all occupational injuries by reporting within required timeframes and by utilizing SBC’s modified work program
- Provide orientation to general staff, field staff and subcontractors as well as collection and compilation of training records;
- Organize, develop, deliver and implement Toolbox Talks, Safe Work Procedures, Job Hazard Analysis, emergency response plans, training seminars, and other workshops, and presentations on health, safety and environmental topics to operational teams including supervisors and employees;
- Prepare of contract-specific Hazard Assessments and safety execution plans in compliance with client requirements;
- Coordinate, collect and input of required safety documentation and perform other common administrative tasks associated with the role;
- Utilize Health and Safety Management Systems and applications daily to perform administrative tasks
- Collect, organize and submit weekly deliverables to clients;
- Monitor and assist in maintaining PPE inventory;
- Understand ethical behavior and safety practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- A minimum of 3 - 5 years of experience in a full time HSE role that involved managing, planning and implementation of HSE requirements;
- Strong working knowledge of relevant OH&S Acts, Regulations, industry best practices and other applicable legislation;
- Proven track record of promoting safety on job sites and throughout the organization;
- Must be capable of working in a team environment, and promoting group cohesion;
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness;
- Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the project and organization;
- Be coachable and enthusiastic about coaching others.
- Well-developed interpersonal customer service and relationship building skills;
- Good oral and written English-language skills; French would be an asset;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Self-motivated, energetic and reliable with a positive disposition;
- The ability to prioritize effectively, make decisions quickly and work under pressure;
- Solid knowledge of investigation techniques;
- Familiar with auditing techniques (i.e. COR / ISO);
- Experienced with WSIB reporting and IHSA COR requirements;
- NCSO or equivalent certification is preferred
- Post secondary education in occupational health and safety or equivalent would be an asset.
- Experience in Heavy Civil construction – Deep Foundation construction experience would be an asset;
- Proficient in Microsoft applications.
Travel may be necessary within the assigned region so a valid driver’s license is also required.
By joining our team, you will become part of a growing Canadian company, but also part of the largest multinational construction company in the world. You will have opportunities to build relationships with industry leaders from around the globe with an employer that is committed to career development. A competitive compensation and benefits package is another reason why SB CANADA is a great place to work.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please apply by email.
Only candidates being considered for this position will be contacted. SB CANADA is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program