CancerCare Manitoba is the provincial agency responsible for cancer control and blood disorders, including prevention, early detection, care and treatment, research, palliation and education throughout Manitoba. We invite applications for the position of:
Unit Assistant/Unit Clerk
Radiation Therapy - MacCharles
Term, Full Time (1.0 EFT)
ASAP to May 22, 2020 (MLOA - may expire with 2 weeks’ notice)
Competition #: 186-19-7142091
Reporting to the Radiation Therapy Manager, the incumbent, as a member of a multidisciplinary team, performs a variety of tasks and acts as a communication link for the Radiation Therapy Department within a patient care area. Unit assistant duties include a variety of supportive functions for patients and staff; intra & inter-facility patient transport, stocking unit supplies, stocking and maintenance of linen, maintaining the cleanliness of the waiting rooms, stretcher bays and service rooms.
Clerical tasks include appointment scheduling, contacting patients for radiation appointments, answering telephones and inquiries and checking patients into the department. The incumbent will interact with patients, general public, health professionals and other hospital personnel. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times according to CCMB policy and PHIA. This position is under the supervision of the Senior Unit Clerk and Clinical Resource Radiation Therapist.
- High school graduate (Grade XII or equivalent) including 40s English course (or equivalent see below minimum language requirements)
- Graduate from a recognized Health Unit Clerk course and a Health Care Aide course
- The ability to perform physically demanding tasks i.e. transferring and transporting of patients via stretcher or wheelchair for distances of up to 1.0 km, assisting patients, lifting bags of linen
- Excellent computer skills; proficient with MS Word/Excel/Outlook and internet use
- Current certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS)
- Must be able to legally work in Canada
- Previous experience as a Unit Assistant and as a Unit Clerk including transporting patients
- Previous experience in a patient-care setting
- Working experience with ARIA RO
- Ability to speak French__
Will be assessed during the interview process:
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, customer service and problem solving skills.
- Ability to adapt to stressful situations.
Salary: As per the CUPE Collective Agreement
Note: Please enclose the required documents (proof of education and completion of 40s English course or equivalency) together with your application to CCMB Human Resources.
This position is subject to a Criminal Record Check, including Vulnerable Sector Search, an Adult Abuse Registry Check and a Child Abuse Registry Check. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred.
CancerCare Manitoba is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment processes and work environment. If you are contacted by CancerCare Manitoba regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if accommodation measures must be taken to enable you to apply and be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
Interested and qualified applicants are invited to submit a detailed and current resume, plus cover letter demonstrating how you meet the above qualifications and the above Competition Number.
Closing Date: June 25, 2019
Minimum Language Requirements:
Applicants whose first language* is not English and who have not successfully completed a Manitoba Grade 12 40S English course or equivalent will be required to meet one of the following English language proficiency requirements:
TOEFL- a minimum of 550 (CBT-213) on the PBT (Paper-Based Test), or a minimum of 213 on the CBT (Computer-Based Test), or a minimum of 79-80 on the IBT (Internet-Based Test)
CanTest - a minimum band level of 4.5 in Reading and Listening, and 4.0 in Speaking and Writing
IEL TS - a minimum band of 6.5 in Reading, Listening, and Speaking, and a minimum of 6.0 in Writing
MELAB - a minimum final score of 80 with a minimum of 77 in Writing
CAEL- a minimum overall result of 60 with a minimum of 60 in Writing
Successful completion of AEPUCE (Academic English Program for University and College Entrance) offered through the University of Manitoba and Red River College
*The term "first language" refers to that language which is most commonly used in homes, communities and daily commerce in the applicant's native country. It may or may not be the country's official language or one of the country's official languages or the language of instruction.
We thank all that apply and advise that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- * Current certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) (Required)
- Health Unit Clerk course and a Health Care Aide (Required)
- 40S english course or equivalent (Required)