Railway Track Welder, Ottawa, ON
RailTerm is a diversified, safety oriented, rail services contractor with operations throughout North America. We provide custom service solutions to railway operators who wish to outsource mission-critical activities.
This opportunity is for you if…
…you are passionate about safety, enjoy outdoor and physical work, and are looking to advance in a career within the railway industry.
What’s in it for you?
- A workplace where safety is the priority;
- A full-time and permanent opportunity;
- An incentive compensation program;
- Generous group Insurance coverage;
- A retirement plan with employer contribution.
The Railway Track Welder is responsible for preventive & remedial welding of various railway track infrastructure components. This is a full-time permanent opportunity based out of the Ottawa Area requiring work from Brockville (Ontario) to Les Côteaux (Quebec), with occasional travel to Southern Ontario.
Key Responsibilities and Functions
- Slotting and welding of temporary and permanent rail joints, including repair of rail-end batter;
- Welding of switch points in various rail profiles;
- Welding of frogs (RBM, Bolted, SGM), including point of frog, and wings;
- Support of track work programs (rail change-out) to address mismatch at joints;
- Thermite welding;
- Repair of deficiencies in the track structure under the direction of a foreman;
- Snow clearing from railway turnouts (switches) – Winter;
- Safe operation, maintenance and upkeep of a hi-rail welding truck, and installed equipment;
- Other related tasks as required.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Valid driver’s license of “DZ and G” classification (Ontario) or “3” (Quebec), or higher;
- Ability to write daily reports and maintain repair logs;
- Ability to coordinate and schedule the day-to-day activities and prioritize tasks
- Completion of recognized railway track welding program through Class 1 railway or other qualified training provider (Asset);
- Experience as an approved railway welder apprentice, welder, or welder foreman on Class 1 mainline rail infrastructure (Required);
- Must be able to lift approximately 60lbs;
- Experience with arc gouging during railway service;
- Experience with welding / grinding / finishing repair of manganese steel castings;
- Experience with welding / grinding / finishing repair of carbon rails of various grades;
- Experience with welding / grinding / finishing repair of carbon steel switch points of various grades and profiles;
- Completion of approved Track Inspection Guidelines (TIG) program;
- Completion of rail defect identification appreciation program;
- Certification in Transportation of Dangerous Goods.
- Clean driver and CVOR abstracts.
Note that only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, RailTerm will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. Please inform the recruiter of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
Job Type: Full-time
- railway welding: 3 years (Required)
- DZ + G (Preferred)
- Welding (Preferred)