Part-time: day shifts and every second weekend
- Secondary education or additional education in recreation or a degree/diploma in gerontology
- Fun to be with, organized, sensitive, enthusiastic, energetic, patient, tactful and mature.
- Be able to read, write and comfortably communicate in English. Bilingual is an asset.
- Able to perform physical work for period of 8 hours.
- Must be able to establish and maintain good interpersonal relationships with staff, volunteers, residents and families.
- Experience in planning, organizing and managing events is an asset.
- Current certification in First-Aid and CPR.
- Standing for long periods of time during events, activities.
- Walking long distances and up/down staircases.
- Typing and/or use of a computer keyboard proficiently.
- Pulling/pushing/lifting to relocate furniture, gaming pieces, etc. up to 50lbs.
- Reading/seeing documentation both in paper format and on a computer screen for long periods of time.
- Hearing differences in phone ring tones and/or in fire system horns or alerts for emergency response purposes.
- Speaking/communicating in front of audiences and to individuals with impairments and disabilities for long periods of time.
- Bending, kneeling, providing walking support for residents where required.
- Hand/eye coordination required to play games with Residents.
- Composed with multiples request at a high frequency.
- Assists in the institution and delivery of internal and external programs that enriches the lives of each resident.
- Assists to interview and assess residents’ social history, physical ability and behaviours, spiritual lifestyle, important memories and losses, family dynamics and contacts, dietary requirements and language abilities.
- Assists with the management of the volunteer program, including orientation, motivation and development of the volunteers.
- Assist Planning, organize and submit for approval a monthly activity schedule offering a variety of activities, crafts and events.
- Execute the daily activity schedule for the monthly calendar.
- Assist with the execution through the volunteers and other resources of additional activity of the monthly activities schedule.
- Creates a Dynamic enjoyable, relaxed and entertaining environment in the residence and assumes responsibility for the morale and well-being of residents.
- Plan and organize and deliver individualized life enrichment programs for the residents.
- Communicate with each and every resident on a regular basis.
- Assists to plan, create, organize, write and publish a monthly newsletter containing a variety of articles and information for distribution to the residents and their families.
- Maintain positive relationships with community organizations.
- Participate in conferences and instructional courses and in-house care conference.
- Document resident attendance and participation for each activity
- Be aware and react to special needs including but not limited to:
- Tuck shop
- Arts and crafts
- Music events
- Fund raising
- Cocktail bar
- Snack services
- Regular parties
- Community events
- Educational functions
- Library services
- Therapeutic recreations
- Board and Cards games
- Lead sing along
- Residents ADL needs
Job Type: Part-time
- Monday to Friday
- Recreation Assistant: 1 year (Preferred)