ANIMAL CARE ATTENDANT POSITION
Senior Animal In Need Today Society (www.saintsrescue.ca) is a multi-species, senior, palliative and special needs sanctuary. We are a registered charity located on three acres in Mission, BC. The shelter runs seven days a week, 365 days a year.
Under direction of the operations manager, our animal care attendants provide for the overall care of all shelter animals by ensuring constant cleanliness of cages, runs and shelter areas and the proper feeding and care of all shelter animals. The responsibilities may vary dependent on the current shelter animal mix and needs of the shelter.
We are looking for an experienced animal care attendant that has experience with barn animals. Please click here www.saintsrescue.ca/animals to view all our residents.
Hours & Wages:
· Full Time (will included weekends)
· Hourly wages dependent on experience
· 100% medical and dental benefits paid by SAINTS
· Prepare and provide all meals and medication
· Provide enrichment activities for all animals
· Clean and disinfect all animal quarters including loafing areas and feed room
· Turn out and turn in all animals (including birds). Rotate if needed
· Check and replenish food bins, hog fuel, straw bedding, water containers
· Poop and scoop paddocks and fields
· Rinse and clean dishes daily or as needed
· Rake and clean gravel path and riding ring
· Grooming horses, donkeys and other animals as directed
· Assist visiting veterinarians as needed
· Closing up procedures not limited to sweeping, mopping, general cleaning, putting animals to bed, securing facilities, and locking up
· Keeping the shelter clean and organized throughout shift
· Making sure all food and waters are topped up.
· Feeding breakfast, lunch and dinner to cats, rabbits, and small animals
· Cleaning dishes, spot cleaning, scooping litter boxes
· Intake of any cats, rabbits, small animals, birds that come into the shelter.
· Rotating dogs for pee breaks
· Rotating rabbits for in and out time
· Wellness charting
· Updating medication book
· Take recycling and garbage out
· Bathe animals
· Take dogs out for run at bottom of field
· Organizing and restocking food and medication shelves
· Organizing shop storage room
· Closing up procedures not limited to, sweeping, mopping, general cleaning, putting animals to bed, securing facility and locking up
Other Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Heavy lifting and constant physical labor are basic job requirements
- Able to take direction and seek clarification related to tasks or special assignments
- Good problem solving and decision making skills
- Follow isolation protocols and handling techniques with sick animals to avoid spread of illness
- Work as part of a team and independently
- Must have a positive attitude when working with volunteers and the public
- Must be comfortable with large animals
- Must have a reliable vehicle
- Able to work overtime when required
- Must be comfortable with medical emergencies, death, and euthanasia as we are a senior and palliative care sanctuary.
Knowledge, Education & Experience:
- Previous experience working with farm animals
- Experience with farm equipment and land/field management an asset
- Genuine concern for the welfare of animals
- Must be kind and gentle with all animals
- Must have an excellent work ethic
Please send cover letter, resume, and references
Please be advised we will only be contacting those that have the experience we are looking for.
Application deadline: 2021-07-10
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $15.00-$16.00 per hour
- 10 hour shift
COVID-19 procedures are in place and must be followed.