We are currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill two (2) full-time Short-Term Contract Vegetation Control positions in Ontario, Canada.
Description: The Vegetation Control Position’s objective is to maintain and improve at Properties located in Southern Ontario according to Owner’s standards. Each Property consists of a solar power- generating facility (a Solar Farm) and also surrounding land and in some cases a house or other facility that is also owned by the Company. It is the Company’s intent to actively maintain all land within the Property boundary that includes the land inside and outside the Solar Farm perimeter fence. “Actively maintaining” these lands involve, notably, the ability to at least be able to mow them using standard mowing equipment. The Vegetation Control Position will use Company- owned and rented equipment to perform the work required. Primary activities will include vegetation control from spring through fall, in addition involvement in some special projects such as land reclamation efforts or ditch rehabilitation. The Vegetation Control Position will report to the Company’s Field Director and will be located reasonably near the Properties being maintained. The candidate will have the ability to operate, maintain, and perform minor equipment repair.
Reporting: The Vegetation Control Position reports to the Field Director.
Locations: The positions available are each based on the location of separate sets of Properties, anticipated to be as follows:
- Eastern Position: responsible for two (2) Properties located near Prescott, Cornwall.
- Central Position: responsible for four (4) Properties located near Uxbridge (Durham), Lindsay (Kawartha), Port Hope and Cobourg.
Position Requirements of the Vegetation Control Position:
- Ability to work consistently (year-round) and independently (willing and comfortable working alone)
- The ability to at times works with others or in a team setting.
- Ability assist in loading, unloading equipment from different sites.
- Experience with farming, landscaping, operating heavy equipment, and/or similar work
- Must have mechanical skills and experience: operating, maintaining and repairing tractors, skid steers, implements, power tools and hand-held equipment and other tools
- Willing and able to perform tasks including rock picking, hand-pulling weeds, or other hand labour duties as required
- Must be willing to travel between sites and stay overnight for extended periods of time to complete scheduled or unscheduled work.
- Must be willing to work (at times) non-standard start times to complete work based on weather or other conditions. i.e. in the evenings or early am.
- Must have a valid “G” or G2 driver’s license. A class “A” License is an asset.
- Must have their own transportation to and from Project sites.
- Must have the ability to operate a computer and related software.
Work Duties: The Vegetation Control Position will be responsible for a variety of work duties including but not limited to the following:
- Perform vegetation control including grass cutting, weed abatement, invasive species identification and removal, tree trimming, and other maintenance at the Properties according to an established maintenance schedule.
- Perform periodic general land clearing/reclamation including stone/rock picking, woody species clearing, soil grading and seeding/planting activities in order to re-establish areas that will be actively maintained, farmed or otherwise put to good use.
- Cut grass and maintain shrubbery at Property houses and entrances (some of the Properties have houses on them) according to the maintenance schedule.
- Perform routine maintenance/inspections on mechanical systems for the solar farm and document findings.
- Identify and prevent woody species encroachment into the actively maintained boundary limits and take measures to keep the boundary clear.
- Repair/replace damaged or missing boundary markers so that there is a perpetual delineation of the Property limits and other boundaries.
- Monitor soil erosion and storm water control measures (e.g. ditches, level spreaders, culverts, infiltration trenches, (while applicable)) and ensure they are in proper working order on an ongoing basis. Perform necessary maintenance which may include silt removal or minor regrading to keep these measures in excellent working order. This may be inside or outside of the Solar Farm Properties.
- Inspect all Property roads and graveled surfaces for evidence of erosion on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain friendly and cooperative “good neighbour” relations with neighbouring landowners, municipality representatives and the community as a whole. Effectively communicate to Company management any issue that arises with these parties.
- Assist to arrange for and load, unload Company-owned equipment from Property to Property as required.
If you are interested and qualified for this role, please submit a summary of your relevant experience and contact information for Owner’s consideration. You may submit a resume and cover letter.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract