At CN, everyday brings new and exciting challenges. You can expect an interesting environment where you’re part of making sure our business is running optimally and safely―helping keep the economy on track. We provide the kind of paid training and opportunities that long-term careers are built on and we recognize hard workers who strive to make a difference. You will be able to thrive in our close-knit, safety-focused culture working together as ONE TEAM. The careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
Reporting to the Procurement Manager, the Procurement Agent’s responsibilities are to ensure that procured materials and services meet business requirements facilitate resolution of technical issues, and interface with Business Units with maximum productivity and effectiveness and act as an escalation for issues encountered. We are looking for procurement agents with great customer service who are looking to help develop and grow the role. If you are looking for a chance to make a difference by bringing new ideas and helping to develop a Purchasing Centre of Excellence, we want you. The Procurement Agent is responsible for input into the day-to-day management of team workloads, prioritization, productivity, troubleshooting and issue resolution, expediting, minor conflict resolution, and managing the procurement of materials and services through multiple spend channels. This role encompasses procurement activities for all of the business units.
- Complete purchasing activities by drafting and revising Purchase Orders (PO) as per business unit requirements and completeness, seek appropriate authorization, inform the supplier, and clearly document the methods of ordering and payment
- Assure and maintain data integrity on all inputs by comparing items requested to master data, ensuring a suitable item is not already available through existing commercial arrangement (e.g. eCommerce) and by clarifying unclear items
- Escalate to Procurement Manager any discrepancies between a supplier’s invoice and the PO that would prevent a payment
- Ensure goods and services are obtained cost effectively to meet requirements and in accordance with corporate compliance requirements, including category strategies, established procedures and policies
- Source, negotiate, and purchase non-category related goods and services required by the business units for anything with an annual spend of $1M or less
- Expected to work 8-hour days, Monday through Friday. Start time no later than 8:30 am and end time not earlier than 4:00 pm
- The role has standard working conditions in an office environment with a regular workweek from Monday to Friday and will currently be eligible to participate in our flexible work from home policy
- Dress code is business casual
- Relevant work experience in customer service
- Experience in a junior purchasing position*
- Experience in drafting and negotiating contracts
- Any experience for these above would be considered as an asset
- Minimum of high school diploma or equivalent General Education Diploma (GED)
- Post-secondary education*
- Any education for these above would be considered as an asset
General Skills and Attributes
- Use business acumen to drive results: stay abreast and know how CN operates
- Time management
- Communicate with impact both orally and in written
- Demonstrate financial acumen
- Collaborate as ONE team: share timely information with and across functions to get things done effectively
- Influence and engage with others
- Apply analytical thinking and solve problems
- Strong Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite and Excel
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.