St. Margaret’s is Western Canada’s only all-girls, independent day and boarding school located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for girls’ learning and leadership development providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (boarding grades 7-12). A committed, high calibre staff, a beautiful campus, and an innovative, integrated curriculum create a nurturing environment that challenges students to achieve their academic and leadership potential.
This is a bargaining unit position in the Professional Employees Association
37.5 hours per week
The Accounting Clerk is responsible for the timely and accurate recording of all school cash receipts to revenue, and preparation and issuance of account statements. This position involves significant interaction with diverse customers to ensure that statements are properly understood, and payments are received and processed in a timely manner. This position works closely with the Controller compiling information for regular reports, with the Admissions department in reconciling student accounts, and with other staff in relation to account charges. The Accounting Clerk provides outstanding customer service through prompt, accurate and fair billing practices and through collection of accounts.
As a key member of the Finance Department, the Accounting Clerk may provide support in accounts payable to ensure the smooth and accurate receipt and disbursement of funds to and from the school.
· Customer Focus
· Attention to Detail
· Teamwork & Communication
· Problem Solving
· Quality & Results Focus
· Accountability & Dependability
· Preparing of invoices and billing information for all prospective students.
· Recording all transactions related to internal and external customers.
· Accurate and timely recording of all school revenue through cash, cheque, or electronic transfers into the accounting system.
· Recording of transactions related to Dudley’s Closet (School Store), Meal Plan, Transportation, and After School Care sales into the accounting system.
· Preparing and sending account statements for all internal and external customers.
· Overseeing internal and external customer pre-authorized forms and remittances of pre-authorized payment files through the bank, reoccurring credit cards and weekly bank deposit.
· Responsible for all credit balances, refunds, and adjustments, and apply adjustments and/or corrections to school billing records.
· Balancing of revenue and receivable accounts.
· Serve as the primary customer contact for billings.
· Investigating and resolving billing discrepancies or misapplied transactions.
· Maintaining an organized filing system for all appropriate documents.
· Preparing and following up on delinquent accounts by sending collection letters, emails, and calls to the families.
· Oversee annual refund of credits on internal and external customer accounts.
· Managing and overseeing the creation and tracking of student and staff charge sheets.
· Assisting in the preparation and sending of annual tax receipt letters, T4A and T2202A.
· Providing supporting documentation for year-end audit queries.
· Assisting with month-end and year-end analyses related to the year-end audit as required.
· Performing all other responsibilities and tasks as assigned.
· Minimum high school diploma or equivalent.
· Minimum 3 years of experience in accounts receivable.
· Demonstrated ability to accurately calculate, post, correct, and manage accounting figures and financial records.
· Ability to handle confidential information, monetary transactions, and perform account reconciliations.
· Experience in gathering and compiling data and preparing financial reports.
· Strong diplomatic, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills for dealing with account collections.
· High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and accounting systems. Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains is an asset.
· Basic knowledge of accounting systems, budgets, and internal controls.
· Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy and ability to meet deadlines.
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a positive, collaborative, and professional manner with customers, students, and colleagues.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and the position will remain open until filled. Interested candidates are invited to submit an application package, which includes a covering letter, curriculum vitae and professional references, quoting the Posting #2021046 by May 25th, 2021.
Reference ID: 2021046
Application deadline: 2021-05-25
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $25.03 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Accounts Receivables: 1 year (preferred)