You want to work for a fast-paced company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You have a strong sense of personal ownership and responsibility for completion of objectives on time. You want to figure out why things tick which makes you tick but very little ticks you off. You want to think outside of the box and continually challenge your own limits, as well as those around you. You have a mad scientist mentality where you want to be part of the robots building robots revolution.
Attabotics is the world’s first 3D robotics supply chain system for modern commerce. Inspired by the framework of ant colonies, Attabotics replaces the rows and aisles of traditional fulfillment centers with a patented storage structure and robotics shuttles that utilize both horizontal and vertical space, reducing a company’s warehouse needs by 85%. By empowering retailers to place fulfillment centers near high-density urban areas, Attabotics helps create jobs and decrease carbon emissions by closing the last-mile delivery gap. A TIME Magazine Most Innovative Company special mention, CNBC Disruptor, and one of Fast Company’s world’s 50 most innovative companies. Attabotics has been adopted by major brands including luxury department store Nordstrom, and other retailers across apparel, grocery, food & beverage, and home goods. Attabotics is based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, with fulfillment centers across the United States and Canada.
The Controls Lead will manage a team of Engineers and Technologists responsible for developing the Attabotics storage system controls and electrical design to achieve a scalable and commercialized architecture. The team is also responsible for sustaining the current systems and workstation PLC design. System and peripherals, like the workstation. The Controls Lead is responsible for prioritizing and assigning Electrical, Automation and Controls specification, design, configuration, and validation activities in the team, and for ensuring the technical quality and regulatory compliance of all designs created or sustained by the team.
Who you are
- BS Degree in Electrical, Mechatronics, Automation Engineering, or a related field
- 8+ years’ experience in Electrical/Automation design demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility and leadership
- Experience leading, coordinating, planning, and mentoring team members
- Professional Engineer in good standing, as recognized by APEGA is preferred
- Experience in product development projects, deploying commercially acceptable designs into production
- Working knowledge of PLC hardware design, Control panel layout & design, Low voltage power distribution systems, I/O wiring, and Loop drawings
- Knowledge and experience working with industrial communication protocols such as EtherCAT, Profibus, Ethernet/IP, Modbus, etc
- Ideally has experience in designing to, and obtaining field/type certifications through an NRTL such as UL/CSA/TUV
- Working knowledge of applicable machine safety codes and standards, is preferred
- Experience with industrial machine design or configurable product design and specification, is an asset
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
- Experience with Agile project management and development processes
- You prioritize working safely and making sure your health and safety as well as those of your co-workers is part of your job
What we need
- Lead and manage a growing three person controls team, comprised of compliance, systems, PLC, and electrical engineers/technologists. Includes planning, coaching, mentoring, and hiring
- Provide technical direction for the design and development of controls systems for new products and changes to existing designs
- Be both a leader and hands-on contributor at all levels of design for PLCs, automation, certification, and risk assessment
- Responsible for the detailed review of work of generated by team members
- Review controls and electrical work for functionality, safety, reliability, cost of production, test, and maintenance/service
- Be responsible for the overall controls system design and documentation
- Work collaboratively with a cross functional team to take design concepts from R&D and make them a functioning, manufacturable, sustainable product
- Drive design activities through an Engineering Change process
- Employ Agile (sprint, Kanban) tools and practices to manage team workflow and deployments
- Prioritize and manage work to meet project deadlines with complete documentation and deliverables
- Contribute to department practices, procedures, and engineering best habits
If this description describes you perfectly and the work environment you know you can thrive in, send us your resume as well as describe to us what you’re passionate about and we may just reach out to you.
Attabotics is committed to employing the best people to do the best job possible within our environment. We hire based on merit and are strongly committed to cultivating diversity as a source of excellence. Attabotics firmly believes that a vast array of perspectives produces and promotes innovation and business success. Our corporate diversity encompasses differences in ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, age, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, physical and mental ability and education.
Attabotics promotes a corporate safety culture where employees’ health, safety & well being is number one and with the ultimate goal of establishing a zero incident work environment.
Attabotics is aware of false advertisement of our postings, which may include compensation information. These are fraudulent sites and should not be trusted. For a current listing of all our postings, and the only legitimate location to apply, please visit.
Job Type: Full-time