Showcase your talent! Check out this exciting opportunity for a creative individual to be part of taking our special café and gift shop to the next level.
Under the guidance of the board of directors, the Café Manager ensures that all visitors to this hidden gem will leave with an experience in mind that will have them bringing back their friends for more!
Lead the team in a new visitor centre commercial kitchen and gift shop while ensuring that it continues to offer a unique, local based and welcoming home-style flair.
KEY RESPONSIBLITIES are but not limited to;
- Develop a fresh menu that represents our café’s unique personality including using fresh /local products, preparing daily lunch specials, as well as weekly Sunday Brunch
- Shopping for the ingredients in accordance with board policy and on board pre-approved budget
- Menu items will be “homemade” as much as possible– soups, baking, burgers, jam pail lunches, etc.
- Prepare fresh homemade items for sale( eg. breads, buns, cookies, pies) regularly
- Prepare “jam pail lunches” to school tours as booked, contacting schools directly when needed
- Ensure menu items and daily specials are prominently displayed in a tidy manner
- Pay attention to detail especially as it relates to persons with food sensitivities/ special needs
- Maintain a clean kitchen and prep area as well as dining area to meet Provincial Health and Work Safe standards
- Provide training and guidance to all support staff and volunteers in the safe operation of all kitchen appliances and cleaning, including ensuring all checklists are strictly adhered to
- Have input into staffing to ensure the best time management of all employees as possible
- Review and approve all staff timesheets
- Schedule volunteers to aid kitchen staff as needed for special events
- Ensure all recycling is properly sorted and bagged daily and stored in designated area
- Provide updates and recommendations to Board and attend board meetings as required
- Promote, sell and record Friends of the Motherwell memberships
- Under the guidance of the Board, oversee operation of the Gift Shop ensuring displays are fully stocked cleaned and all sales are recorded accurately
- Provide suggestions for possible new and unique items
- Handle, control and balance cash register daily. Ensure that bank deposits are made at a minimum of 2 x per week, and more as needed
- Ensure all staff adhere to Board approved dress code
- Conduct weekly staff meetings to keep staff informed of upcoming events and weekly specials
- End of season shut down of kitchen including final cleaning and storing of all equipment, final inventory count
- Provide final year-end report of success and challenges to Board of Directors
Job Type / Category
This is a contract position of approximately 5 months in length (between May-September) with the possibility of extension and possibility of return next season.
HOURS OF WORK
- The hours that the cafe and gift shop are open are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, 7 days a week from the Sunday before Victoria Day to Labour Day.
- As the Manager hours may range from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, based upon the business needs of the day but not to exceed 8 hours per day.
- Special Events may require evening work
- The Café Manager will be scheduled for only one weekend a month off unless first approved by the Board.
- Start Date: Thursday May 2, 2019 End date: Tuesday September 10, 2019 with possibility of extension depending upon business requirements and manager availability
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
The right candidate will display:
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in a commercial kitchen, culinary schooling an asset but not necessary
- Experience in customer service and retail including excellent customer service skills
- Excellent time management, management, and motivational skills.
- Ability to lead an energetic team, developing constructive, cooperative working relationships with the kitchen team and Parks Canada staff
- Experience developing menus/budgets
- Experience handling cash/bank deposits
- Knowledge/understanding of the Canadian Food Guide
- Strong knowledge of Provincial Health and Work Safe standards
- Safe Food Handling or equivalent certificate is mandatory
- Provide valid CPIC including Vulnerable Sector Check
This is a great opportunity for an up and coming chef, perhaps someone who prefers to spend winters south or even someone with great cooking experience looking to make a change. There would be possibility of part time during the winter months, such as catering and biweekly brunches, steak suppers, ets.if the candidate is interested as the Friends are active throughout the year.
This person must display strong managerial skills along with home style cooking experience as the visitors to the site Motherwell Homestead NHS are welcomed as if they are being welcomed 'home'. You will also be working with students and Parks Canada Staff so positive, cooperative team work skills are essentail
Also seeking kitchen and gift shop attendants.
Friends of the Motherwell Homestead inc. is a non profit, incorporated organization that works with the community to support the Motherwell Homestead NHS. Located only 3 km South of the quaint village of Abernethy, Saskatchewan, the Motherwell Homestead National Historic Site visitor centre is only an hour commute from Regina or Yorkton. This historic site that operated as the homesteaders did in1912, complete with 3 story historic barn, stone house, farming with horses, childrens programs, major special events, and more.
The cafe itself is located in the modern, newly renovated visitor centre of the historic site. We work together with other fantastic tourism destinations in the area to show how special our not so little corner of the prairies is.
To see more visit our website at friendsofmotherwell.ca
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Management: 2 years (Preferred)
- commercial cooking: 3 years (Required)
- CPIC including vulnerable sector check (Required)
- Safe Food Handling or equivelant (Required)