Soulpepper Theatre Company’s Technical Director works as an integral part of the creative process in collaboration with productions’ designers and the Director of Production, with the responsibility for the technical implementation of Soulpepper’s production values. The Technical Director also provides technical support to the Young Centre for the Performing Arts under the terms of a management agreement between Soulpepper Theatre and the Young Centre for the Performing Arts.
· Manages a team of six direct reports, including Department Heads, Assistant Technical Directors, and Production Assistants or Interns.
· Manages unionized technical staff in all areas and venues.
· Establish both material and labour costing for all production elements; technical and scenic.
· Communicates with designers to realize production’s designs while keeping within budgetary constraints.
· Directs production of CAD drawings and other production paperwork.
· Manages budgets for all scenic areas in consultation with the Director of Production.
· Ensure all production elements are delivered on schedule and on budget; and reports to the Director of Production as to the status of production budgets at weekly meetings.
· Liaises with Stage Management for notes, and for the smooth transition from shops to technical rehearsal
· Engages staff and crew in consultation with the Director of Production.
· Manages the installation of all scenic elements in the theatres.
· Manages the procurement or construction of any special FX required by the productions.
· Manages the installation of all lighting, sound, video, and projection elements in the theatres.
· Assist the Manager Building Ops with Young Centre activities and related logistics as required.
· Consults with the GBC Production Manager on performance activities and related logistics as required.
· Manages the build process in the carpentry, paint and prop shops, including scheduling, timely supply of required materials, and safe operations consistent with health and safety policies, maintaining a production quality of the highest standard.
· Contribute to the overall success of Soulpepper and the Young Centre by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Production
· Reports directly to the Director of Production;
· Direct manager of Production Department staff;
· Works in conjunction with the Assistant Production Manager and the Young Centre Manager of Building Ops.
· Direct manager of Department Heads – Carpentry, Scenic & Properties; Indirect manager of Stagehands
Consults and advises Producing department when requested
Education: Completion of a post-secondary degree from a recognized University, College, or Technical Theatre training institution; or equivalent work experience.
Experience: A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in all aspects of technical theatre This should include some time as an Assistant Technical Director and/or Crew Chief with a minimum of three (3) years professional experience with union Stagehands. A minimum of five (5) years professional experience as a Technical Director is expected.
Knowledge: Knowledge of structural and mechanical construction for the stage, both materials and techniques, including welding, rigging and painting. Product, material, pricing and logistics research skills. Some knowledge of hydraulics, pneumatics, and electrical systems. A thorough knowledge of theatrical lighting, sound, and projection systems. A thorough knowledge of QLAB. And a working knowledge of current safety standards and the implementation of same.
Skills: Superb organizational skills with the ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines. Computer literate; strong in MS Office, AUTOCAD, and other various Computer Aided Drafting platforms and relevant computer programs. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills, integrity, creativity, a collaborative spirit, and the cultural sensitivity needed to work effectively in a diverse environment of artists, producers, creative and management teams.
Must hold a valid and clean Ontario driver’s license. The ability to produce superior work with established production staff, and highly organized and able to prioritize work and meet rigorous deadlines
Problem Solving: The Technical Director's expectations need to be in line with our artists’ creative process, and the creative artists need to understand the realistic parameters that the Technical Director must honour and work within. Judgement is required in supervising staff and managing daily work for a variety of individuals and departments, in a variety of environments. Misinformation in reporting to the Director of Production or others could lead to safety concerns, financial overruns, and/or serious delays which could adversely affect public performances.
The Technical Director role represents an opportunity to join a creative and dynamic performing arts organization. The compensation package will include an annual salary commensurate with experience, and comprehensive employment benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Only candidates with legal authorization to work in Canada will be considered. Soulpepper is an equal opportunity employer and invites all applicants with proper credentials to apply for the position.
Soulpepper thanks all candidates for their interest however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please send résumé and cover letter (including salary expectations) detailing how you can contribute to this dynamic not-for-profit arts organization by no later than Monday,January 23rd, 2020.
To: Search Committee –Technical Director
Please quote TD20 on the subject line when applying by email.
c/o LJ Savage, Director of Production
Soulpepper Theatre Company
50 Tank House Lane.
Toronto Ontario. M5A 3C4
Job Type: Full-time