Director of Sales
Shaw Centre is a great place to work. It provides colleagues with an inspirational work environment focused on providing the skills required for success, promoting a healthy and safe workplace, and maintaining an environment where we intend to have fun each and every day. Shaw Centre has worked hard to create a culture of fair, consistent and focused leadership, and looks to hire dedicated staff. We focus on keeping our colleagues informed, rewarding efforts, celebrating achievements and letting everyone know that every action they take matters to the success of Shaw Centre. We are currently recruiting a Director of Sales to join our Sales Team.
A key member of the Marketing and Sales team, the Director of Sales is accountable for the overall sales goals of the centre through the coordination of day-to-day sales operations to ensure they are properly focused to meet business plan goals and objectives. This position will also take on a leadership role in the Think Ottawa Program—a program which recognizes local influencers willing to participate in championing bids to bring international conventions to the city. The Director of Sales is responsible for ensuring a proactive sales approach in our local convention clients as well as ensuring the centre remains top of mind for clients in other Canadian cities through in-market sales activities, on-going touch points and other marketing initiatives throughout the year. The current team of account managers (6) and (1) Think Ottawa Manager, will report up through the Director of Sales, who will report to the President and CEO.
Main responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Participate in the convention sales and marketing strategic planning and goal setting process and the annual business planning process;
- Attend meetings within the Shaw Centre stakeholder group;
- Work hand-in-hand with Ottawa Tourism on aligned goals and objectives;
- Coordinate necessary sales, marketing and financial resources in the planning and execution of convention sales missions and activities with Ottawa Tourism;
- Work with Ottawa Tourism and Invest Ottawa on increasing awareness of the Think Ottawa program.
- Participate in and report on committee work such as Client Advisory Board, Convention Committees, and/or Think Ottawa initiatives or other such committee work as may be introduced from time to time;
- Ensure mutually agreed upon reports and reporting structures with Ottawa Tourism are maintained and shared in a timely fashion.
- Ability to accurately forecast business into the future
- Develop and provide recommendations, advice and guidance on the direct sales effort to Account Managers on policy and pricing for convention sales as well as regional markets
- Monitor performance versus objectives and take corrective strategic action when needed;
- Participate in the annual review process for Account Mangers;
- Assist Account Mangers in their negotiations as required;
- Provide on-going guidance and coaching to Account Managers as required.
- The Director of Sales is responsible for the overall pace goal of the sales team
- Provide backup to Account Managers when out of office in site visits, familiarization tours, enterainment
- Input, monitor and build accounts using the Customer Relationship Management system (EBMS);
- Establish knowledge of corporate policies, processes and procedures as well as an awareness of the roles and responsibilities throughout the Shaw Centre with the objective of creating outstanding customer service outcomes;
- Perform work in accordance with the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and all other corporate/departmental policies and procedures;
- Perform other related duties as required.
To be successful in this role the candidate will possess the following:
- Minimum of 5 years managerial experience in sales, preferably in the hospitality sector, however other service industries are a strong consideration;
- Diploma or degree in hospitality management a definite asset;
- Bilingualism (English/French) an asset;
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Comfortable in speaking engagements and client presentations
Additional Competencies and Skills:
- Working knowledge of applicable occupational health and safety legislation and general knowledge of corporate/departmental policies and procedures;
- Comfortable in presentations and having a podium presence required.
Demonstrated Ability to:
- Communicate effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing, including effective presentation skills;
- Comprehensively use software including Customer Relationship Management software, spreadsheet, word-processing, presentation, and electronic mail and scheduling;
- Knowledge of EBMS booking system considered an asset;
- Act decisively to translate departmental strategies into concrete action plans;
- Ability to analyze statistics, sales reports and other industry reports and take action where required;
- Focus on providing excellent customer service by identifying and meeting customer needs using processes and procedures that are customer oriented and seeking solutions to resolve service issues;
- Lead by example, demonstrating integrity, creativity and enthusiasm;
- Work effectively independently and in a fast paced, team environment;
- Direct activities towards timely completion of assigned tasks, adjust priorities or resources as required;
- Quickly shift priorities and adapt to changes to meet organizational and department requirements;
- Utilize strong organizational and project management skills;
- Maintain a calm, professional and mature demeanour in interacting with colleagues, external contacts and clients;
- Demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills, collaborative decision-making and analytical skills;
- Adapt to changes in process, systems and organization structures;
Effort and Working Conditions
- Focus on and juggle multiple accountabilities and priorities;
- Normal indoor office environment;
- Occasionally required to extend hours of work to meet work demands including the requirement to work evenings or weekends.
- Ability to travel including on weekends as outlined in the annual business plan
- French is considered an asset.
This position is open to all qualified candidates. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Sales: 5 years (Preferred)