Jr. Technical Writer
Department of Position: Product Management
Reports to: Director of Product Development
For more than 30 years, Lorex has been a leader in the marketplace when it comes to innovative security technology for both home and commercial use. We achieve this by continuing to produce innovative monitoring solutions, all backed by cutting-edge technology and a dedicated team of forward thinkers. Using the latest technology and innovations, Lorex strives to produce solutions to both enhance security and fit your lifestyle.
The Technical Writer will be responsible for producing high quality documents, proposals, manuals, etc., and will be responsible for all stages of the document design, development and production. The successful candidate will understand how to scope out technical writing projects, working with the technical product teams to understand requirements for setup, desired use, and troubleshooting of the product. They will then execute the following publication types for print and digital to facilitate a premium, easy-to-follow end-user experience:
- Product instruction manuals
- Quick setup guides
- Online FAQs
- Support articles
The successful candidate must excel at writing, organization, proof-reading, editing, and formatting to ensure that the department always delivers audience-appropriate technical documentation with graphical components (photography, image manipulation, line art, etc.) and instructional content for device applications/interfaces. They will also act on feedback provided from reporting metrics to make improvements to print and digital support media as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Produce print and digital support documentation for new product launches.
- Produce and update online support articles leading up to a launch, as well as continually ensure content is accurate through appropriate updates.
- Perform reviews of documentation projects produced by technical writers on staff to ensure that content is complete, accurate, and meets all stylistic and branding guidelines.
- Provide sign-offs for new product launches that all documentation has been published.
- Manage vendors for CMS user guide software and translation projects with third-party translators.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Certificate in Technical Writing and/or Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Fresh graduates are welcomed.
- Exceptional English writing skills.
- In-depth knowledge of HTML, XML, and Microsoft Office.
- Eye for design and ability to create and modify templates for accessibility and visual harmony.
- Bilingualism in French or Spanish is an asset.
- Ability to deliver high quality documentation paying attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable in text and pictures.
- Ability to weigh the needs of separate stakeholders and identify conflicts that could lead to issues at the time of a launch.
- Previous working experience as a technical writer preferred
- Knowledge and/or experience with XML-based CMS or other content management systems used for structured authoring and content reuse.
- Knowledge and/or experience with Adobe Creative Cloud design programs, including Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
- Experience with delivering training, presentations or webinars would be an asset.
- Ability to design e-learning curriculum would be welcomed.
Lorex Technology is offering an attractive base salary and long-term incentive, depending on experience.
Lorex welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental Care
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- RRSP Match
- Store Discount
- Vision Care
- Temporarily due to COVID-19