How to Apply
Candidates are asked to email a current resume, together with a cover letter stating salary expectations to: [email protected]. Please indicate “Corporate Commercial” in the subject line.
We thank all candidates who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation related to any materials or activities used throughout our selection process. If you require reasonable accommodation at any time during our selection process, please advise prior to your interview by calling our HR Department at (204)934 2552.
Commitment to Diversity
One of our firm’s Core Values is that we value diversity and strive to reflect the communities we serve. In that regard, we encourage anyone who identifies as an Indigenous person, a visible minority, a person with a disability, and/or a member of the 2SLGBTQ+ community to apply. We also welcome you to self-identify your membership in these groups if you wish to do so.
Thompson Dorfman Sweatman (TDS) believes that collaboration is essential to providing outstanding professional service. Their collegial workplace fosters greater teamwork, responsiveness, and communication, providing better results for clients. With Manitoba roots that run more than 130 years deep, TDS has long been recognized as a leading full-service law firm dedicated to serving clients and delivering high quality work.
Perks & Benefits
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- Paid time off
- Centrally located in True North Square, a state-of-the-art building.
- Some flexibility for start and end times within core office hours.
The Support Services department is responsible for providing administrative, clerical, and specialized legal services to assist lawyers and/or paralegals throughout the firm.
Individuals in the Support Services department are assigned to a team, led by a Team Lead. Each member of the team is responsible not only to an assigned lawyer or paralegal, but also to the coordinator for their team.
Purpose of Position
The Legal Assistant, Corporate-Commercial will primarily support the efforts of the corporate-commercial lawyers at the organization, assisting with day-to-day tasks such as file management, organizing work, and other duties.
This position is responsible for aspects of the following areas:
- General Administration
- Corporate-Commercial Support
- Preparing and drafting various correspondence and documents
- Opening, updating (including data entry and scanning of documentation), organizing, maintaining, and closing legal files (paper and electronic)
- Performing conflict checks, initial calls with clients, etc.
- Reviewing and revisions of format, spelling, and grammar on all final documents
- Booking arrangements (ex. court reporters, food service providers sheriffs, investigators, document servers, doctors and other medical care professionals, government organizations.
- Assisting with preparation for hearings/trials, including notifying/scheduling witnesses, organizing books of documents and books of authority, preparing subpoenas
- Fielding questions, problems, concerns from, and booking meetings with, clients, associates and outside or opposing counsel
- Preparing document briefs as required
- Entering and/or verifying lawyer time entries
- Maintaining an efficient electronic and physical file and document management system
- Maintaining a full calendar, email management and managing lawyers’ practice and client interactions
- Translating dictation into typed format
- Liaising with legal assistants, paralegals, lawyers, and clients on file progress
- Performing general administrative duties as required.
Corporate Commercial Support
- Performing due diligence searches (The Property Registry (TPR), Land Titles Office, Companies Office, Bank Act, Bankruptcy, Taxes, and Queen’s Bench)
- Drafting and registering documents at Land Titles (online and through clerks)
- Drafting and completing Personal Property Registry registrations
- Drafting and filing corporate documents with Companies Office
- Organizing and setting up new corporations
- Preparing closing books for corporations
- Preparing opinions (to be signed on behalf of the firm) based on search results
- Work effectively in a professional, fast paced environment
- Experience in an office or business environment
- Superior organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong emphasis on attention to detail and proofreading
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Mature attitude, professional and strong work ethic
- Dependability and the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and co-ordinate multiple projects with multiple individuals
- Has a mindset for helping others, a client service mentality, and a positive attitude
- Ability to work under pressure, stress, and tight deadlines at times.
- Legal Administrative Assistant certificate or diploma
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Strong administration and research skills