As Canada’s premier nuclear science and technology (S&T) organization Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL) serves the nation as an enabler of business innovation and technology transfer. And, we foster the development of highly-qualified people for the knowledge economy to come.
The Whiteshell Closure Project (WCP) is an initiative under Canadian Nuclear Laboratories whose focus is to decommission the site. The Project mandate encompasses the entire Whiteshell Laboratories (WL) Site, including nuclear equipment and systems, buildings and plant infrastructure, services, waste management facilities and affected lands. The Project scope includes all elements necessary to complete by 2024, a major remediation project on a licensed nuclear site, including strategic planning, resourcing, project annual budgeting and planning, nuclear facility operation, nuclear facility decommissioning, remediation of affected lands, environmental monitoring, site services, application of nuclear programs and business services as required.
This work includes the preparation or review of appropriate documentation for design projects (incl. design plans, concept reports, design requirements, design manuals, technical specifications, technical notes, customer proposals, work plans, schedules and estimates) and interaction with project teams to identify and solve problems. This work also includes surveillance and supervision of the new electrical installations and the retrofit or change to existing facilities. He/she is responsible for ensuring that work is performed to meet applicable quality, code, regulatory and customer requirements.
The successful candidate will become a member of a multi-disciplinary branch (WL Engineering) providing engineering, design, procurement and QA support to the WL Closure Project. The successful candidate will contribute through the development of conceptual, preliminary and detailed designs in the electrical discipline.
This Design Technologist will report to the leader of the WL Engineering, Electrical Design Group. Under the general direction of an engineer, he/she will contribute towards:
- Design (conceptual, preliminary and detailed designs) and construction oversight for new electrical systems.
- Design of retrofits and modifications to existing systems.
- Preparation/review of appropriate documentation for design projects (e.g., work scopes, design plans, concept reports, design requirements, design manuals, technical specifications, technical notes, customer proposals, work plans, schedules and estimates).
- Liaison with team members, customers, contractors, suppliers, regulators and co-workers.
- Revise existing CAD and hand-drawn drawings.
- Prepare equipment specifications and parts lists
- Graduate from a recognized institute of advanced technology, with three (3) or more years’ experience in the design of electrical systems.
- Proficiency in both written and oral communications is required.
- Candidate must be effective working in cross-functional teams comprised of trades persons, operators and other technical staff.
- Must be a safety-first self-starter who is client focused and committed to the success of the team.
- Must be flexible and adaptable to changing requirements, and responsive to client needs.
- Must be experienced with AutoCAD.
- Must be familiar with the requirements of the Canadian Electrical Code.
Visit our website at www.cnl.ca/positive for more information or to apply
CNL has an Employment Equity Program and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Electrical Design: 3 years (Required)
- DCS / DEC (Required)