Reporting directly to the Manager of Water & Waste, the Utility Operator in Training (OIT) is responsible for operating and maintaining equipment that treats wastewater for safe return. Proper treatment of wastewater allows the RM of Springfield to meet applicable environmental license requirements and achieves the mandate of the Wastewater Services Division. The OIT will assist in performing the work of the division and to receive skills training in preparation for assuming higher levels of responsibility.
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar and related.
Water Treatment Process
· Daily testing of the water plant
· Handle sodium hypochlorite (Liquid Chlorine)
· Clean and organize water treatment plants
· Perform monthly generator load tests
· UV treatment maintenance
· Bi-weekly sampling and paperwork for the lab
· Hydrant maintenance program (Flushing, pressure resting and fall hydrant pump outs)
· Quarterly water meter readings
· Raw water line inspection and maintenance (grass, checking pump hours, well dipping, line flushing)
· Home inspections for water line installations and permit work
· Comply and reporting with the province for water treatment and testing
Waste Water Process
· Inspections and maintenance of lift stations (Cleaning floats and sensors, checking pumps)
· Manhole inspections/sewer flushing programs (Working with contractors)
· Lagoon maintenance, treatment and testing
· Comply and report to the province for wastewater treatment and testing
· Home inspections for sewer line installations and permit work
· Monthly generator load tests
Solid Waste Process
· Transfer stations
· Operate equipment for packing bins
· Snow removal
· Tending to transfer station attendants’ requirements and needs.
· Operating heavy equipment such as backhoes, skid steers and occasional loader work.
· All other duties as required.
Job Requirements (minimum standards)
· Must have minimum Grade 12, GED or equivalent training / experience.
· Immediate application for “Operator in Training”
· Successful certification as a Class 1 Operator under the Environment Act, or recognized equivalent within 18 months of employment. Must pass all 4 levels to be Level 1 Certified.
Waste Water Treatment
· Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, external contacts and the public.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
· Demonstrated ability to operate various hand and power tools.
· Knowledge of mechanical, electrical and instrumental equipment.
· Able to work with minimum supervision.
· Successfully completed First Aider 1/CPR course.
· Knowledge and understanding of occupational hazards, safety precautions, regulations and procedures that are applicable to the area of work.
· Willingness and ability to undertake training related to the duties of the position.
· Must we willing to perform shift and /or standby duty on the weekends and evenings on a rotation basis.
Conditions of Employment
· Possess and maintain a valid Manitoba Class 5 Drivers Licence
· Physically capable of performing duties of this position which may include, but are not limited to:
Working outdoors in potentially extreme working weather conditions
Ability to lift 25 – 50 lbs
Perform work in confined space environments (SCBA)
Successfully pass a respirator fit test
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent