Primary Purpose of Position
To keep all tools and dies in good working order to ensure timely production and quality parts to our customer.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Housekeeping: Cleaning tool-room area and equipment. Maintain a safe working environment. Report any safety concerns to Tool-room leader .
- Preventative Maintenance: Desoldering cast tools. Maintain cast and trim tools in good working condition through regular preventative maintenance. Repairing tooling related breakdowns. Running hydraulic or air cylinders as required. Weld up dies as required. Setting up and operating to prescribed tolerance various precision machining tools. Making minor engineering changes to dies as requested
- Shipping or receiving: Ship or receive all cast or trim tools (new or production) to die shops, as needed. Ensure incoming dies are ready to run.
- Machining: Making fixtures, plunger tips, cores, punches, gauges and drawings for parts. Machining plunger tips - New style to restock as they are changed and sorted; - Old style to be set-up at time of request.
- Training: Must take time to train apprentices, passing on the knowledge of the trade as needed. Must take the initiative to learn new machinery to ensure job knowledge does not get outdated.
- Work Orders: All work is assigned through a work order system within Meridian's ERP system Plex. Work orders must be completed upon completion of a job task with details regarding steps taken, materials used, and time taken.
- Other: Must contribute their opinion or forward ideas about tooling improvements including a minimum of two (2) Kaizen projects for continuous improvement annually. Cooperating with production, maintenance, and engineering personnel to ensure that qualified tooling is available and maintained. Other duties as required, including special projects that may arise.
Educational and Experience
- Certificate of Qualification for Tool & Die Maker/ Mould Maker - Essential
- 3+ years’ experience within a manufacturing plant - Desirable
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite - Desirable
- Familiarity with Mastercam, AutoCAD, Inventor, Spinfire - Desirable
Description of Shift Schedule
The tool-room works on a 5 week rotation:
Week 1: 7AM - 3PM, Monday to Friday
Week 2: 3PM - 11PM, Monday to Friday
Week 3: 11PM - 7AM, Monday to Friday
Week 4: 11PM - 11AM, Saturday to Sunday
Week 5: Off Work Monday to Sunday
Week 4 is the weekend immediately following week 3. 2 x 12 hour shifts are worked. Weekend shifts are paid at a premium where an employee works 24 hours and gets paid for 40 hours. The week and weekend following week 4 is time off.
Meridian Lightweight Technologies is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). Applicants are asked to make their needs/requirements, for the purpose of accommodation under AODA, known to Human Resources when they are contacted for an interview.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $35.00-$36.00 per hour
- Company Events
- Dental Care
- Employee Assistance Program
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- On-site Parking
- Paid Time Off
- RRSP Match
- Vision Care
- 12 Hour Shift
- 8 Hour Shift
Meridian has put into place a screen process which all employees go through daily. PPE Requirements have been updated making surgical style masks a requirement while in the facilities. Masks are provided daily to every employee.
- Tool and Die in a manufacturing facility: 3 years (Required)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (Required)