STATUS: Permanent / Full-time (Non-Union)
SCHEDULE: Day Shifts
Niagara Ina Grafton Gage Village (the “Village”) is a not-for-profit charitable organization that has been providing housing and services to seniors for over 60 years. The organization encompasses two sites; the main location in the City of St Catharines has been operating since 1959 and the newer facility, Stone Road Village in the Town of Niagara-on-the Lake, has been in operation since 2012. Combined, these two sites provide housing to more than 500 seniors. At the Village, seniors live in either rental, rent-geared-to-income apartments, life lease bungalows or apartments, bedsitter rooms, or long-term care (nursing home). At Stone Road Village, life lease apartments are available for active seniors. The Village is one of the largest providers of services for seniors in Ontario.
Under the direction of the Manager, Human Resources, the HR Generalist / Scheduler shall support the daily functions of the Human Resources Department in the areas of recruiting/hiring, policies and procedures, payroll Health and Safety, staff scheduling among other key areas of the department. Such duties and responsibilities will be conducted in accordance with professional standards of practice and the policies of Niagara Ina Grafton Gage Village.
Scheduling: (this position schedules over 130 union staff members)
- Coordinate of day-to-day staffing/scheduling issues and replacement of employees who are ill/unable to work, or requesting time off, utilizing accurate call-in sheets and following guidelines outlined in the Collective Agreement as well as company policies and the Employment Standards Act (ESA). Ensure adequate coverage for holidays, sick days and vacation schedules.
- Update all union employees’ schedules and timecard entries by using ADP workforce (scheduling/payroll platform);
- Keep up-to-date with collective agreement changes as they relate to scheduling, vacation, etc.;
- Work closely with union staff regarding time off requests or scheduling matters;
- Collaborate with managers regarding day-to-day scheduling. Meet weekly with department managers to discuss status of their staffing needs.
- Maintain employee confidentiality with regards to availability, contact information or scheduling decisions.
Recruiting and On-Boarding:
- Support the Human Resources Department with employee in attraction, recruitment, onboarding, development, retention and offboarding.
- Prepare and posting job advertisements online and NIGGV website.
- Screen candidates by performing background checks and verify their qualifications and experience.
- Prepare new hires packages with all the necessary documents for the on-boarding process.
- Meet with all new hires to complete on-boarding packages.
- Collaborate with the department managers in order to coordinate and schedule orientation for new hires.
Health and Safety:
- Prepare agenda and record minutes for the Occupational Health and Safety Committee.
- Create and maintain schedule for monthly workplace inspections.
- Update Safety Data Sheets on an as needed basis and place in binders.
- Prepare quarterly summary report for workplace incidents and Hazards reporting and maintain monthly report for Lost time and Non-Lost Time accidents.
Other Human Resources Responsibilities:
- Edit new or updated policies and procedures and maintain master database.
- Keep track of policies that require updates and policies control pages report.
- Provide back-up to the Employment Coordinator;
- Perform additional duties, as required by the Human Resources Manager.
- Diploma in Human Resources, Business Administration or relevant program or an equivalent combination of both education and proven experience as an HR Generalist.
- Minimum of two years of experience working in a Human Resources Generalist role within a unionized environment.
- Previous experience in the health care industry.
- Advanced computer and Microsoft Office skills, including excel and working knowledge of ADP for scheduling and payroll processing.
- Health and safety knowledge and understanding of Ontario legislation.
- Knowledge of Federal and Provincial Labour laws.
- Strong problem solving, reporting, and analytical skills.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and high-pressure situations.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretionary skills.
- Regular attendance is required.
Please note that successful applicants will require a current Police Reference Check suitable for working with the vulnerable sector prior to commencing employment. It is required that all new hires are to have 2 doses of vaccination against Covid-19 as a condition of employment with Niagara Ina Grafton Gage Village.
Interested candidates should forward their cover letter and resume when applying for this position.
Niagara Ina Grafton Gage Village is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Our leadership team is responsible for working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $50,000.00 per year
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Store discount
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Flexible Language Requirement:
Work Location: One location