The Canadian Public Safety Operations Organization (CanOps) is inviting applications from qualified persons for the position of casual 911 Calltaker/Fire Dispatcher within our Provincial Emergency Communications Centre (PECC).
The 911 Calltaker/Fire Dispatcher is responsible for answering calls, processing, recording, and dispatching public safety resources for both emergent and non-emergent incidents throughout or Province. Engaged as an integral part of the community’s emergency response system, the 911 Calltaker/Fire Dispatcher provides clear, accurate and customer focused communications to assist in an efficient and effective response.
The Provincial Emergency Communications Centre offers a wide range of services in the public safety spectrum. We are the first point of contact to receive, assess and route 911 calls in the Province, with the exception of Saskatoon and Regina Corporate city limits. In addition to providing call taking and dispatch services for 365 Fire Departments, both career and volunteer, across the Province, the PECC also serves one municipal police service and several Government of Saskatchewan ministries and agencies, to include Conservation, Saskatchewan Highway Patrol, and Community Safety Officers throughout our Province.
The 911 Calltaker/Fire Dispatcher is a profession that offers a high degree of job satisfaction and the ability to make a positive impact in the community. Becoming a 911 Calltaker/Fire Dispatcher requires unique training, which will enable you to serve in a front line capacity while ensuring the safety of the general public in addition to emergency responders.
The successful candidate will be required to complete a full-time training term that consists of both classroom and in house training which can last up to three (3) months. After the successful completion of the training, casual employees will then work rotational shifts as scheduled, within our emergency communications team. Permanent positions and term vacancies are drawn from our casual pool.
- High School Diploma or Canadian equivalent; post-secondary education is preferred
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Minimum typing speed of 40wpm
- Knowledge of legal terminology is considered an asset
- Previous dispatch or field experience or completion of education in an accredited Emergency Communications Program are considered an asset
- First Aid and CPR Level C certification
Skills and Abilities
- Communicate effectively in English (oral and written)
- Articulate with clear diction when speaking
- Excellent computer skills with the ability to adapt to changing technologies
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and/or equivalent(s)
- Deal with confidential information in a professional manner
- Work well in a team environment
- Manage workload in a multi-tasking environment
- Deal with the public and clients effectively and tactfully
Conditions of Employment
- Submission of Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Pre-Employment suitability testing
- Certified hearing test within acceptable range to be obtained during hiring process
- Ability to work a rotating shift schedule consisting of 12 hour shifts both days and nights, including holidays and weekend
CanOps offers an array of employee benefits, including:
- Competitive pay, health benefits and pension
- Mental health support and programs, including stress management training
- Extensive and comprehensive in-house, on the job training. We invest in the right people for the job, and provide a “learn while you earn” pay during your training period.
- A supportive team environment and access to social committees
- An active OH& S Committee
- Longer shifts allowing for more days off
- Opportunities for further training and advancement
- Free parking
- Amazing scenic location just minutes down the road from the City of Prince Albert
Salary Range – Casual Classification $25.20 - $32.39 per hour
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in their resume.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6-12 months.
We appreciate your interest in CanOps, however we will only contact candidates who are selected for interviews.
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
Salary: From $25.20 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Wellness program
- 12 hour shift
- Day shift
- Night shift