Maternity Leave – 1 year
Perennia Food and Agriculture Inc. offers on-farm production expertise, food safety and value-added product development services to the agricultural, seafood and food processing enterprises in Atlantic Canada. Our highly skilled and collaborative team focuses on superior customer service, proactive solutions and innovative approaches to meet client needs. To assist in this effort, we are seeking a Molecular Biologist based in our Kentville office to join our growing team of 50+ employees.
Reporting to the CEO of Perennia Food and Agriculture Inc., The Molecular Biologist will be integral in planning, conducting and providing reliable analyses of plant material for a variety of clients as part of a service laboratory. The successful candidate should have excellent organizational skills, flexibility, and the ability to thrive in an efficient, interactive, and goal-oriented team environment.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Working with agricultural specialists, research associates, technicians, industry partners and management in molecular lab service and delivery.
- Collaborating with agricultural specialists and other team members on the efficient planning and execution of laboratory projects.
- Organizing and overseeing the collection of plant samples by Perennia staff.
- Processing and analyzing large amounts of time-sensitive plant samples.
- Providing advice and interpretations to users of lab services including working directly with clients to interpret lab results.
- Organizing and managing data and all processes relating to the lab.
- Operating, repairing, maintaining and modifying a wide range of molecular biology lab equipment.
- Sourcing and purchasing of lab supplies, reagents, and equipment.
- Overseeing the lab budget and maintaining up-to-date, detailed financial records.
- Providing guidelines and training to team members and clients on lab regulations, procedures, and equipment as needed, to ensure safety.
- M.Sc. from a recognized post-secondary institution with specialization in plant biology, biochemistry, microbiology or molecular biology, or B.Sc. with 3 years minimum experience with specialization in plant biology, biochemistry, microbiology or molecular biology, or an acceptable combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience planning, organizing and conducting plant biology, microbiology or plant pathology experiments using molecular biology techniques in the lab or field
- Knowledge of plant biology, virology, pathology or microbiology
- Knowledge of molecular biology techniques such as:
- Gel electrophoresis
- PCR, reverse transcription-PCR, real-time PCR
- Knowledge of statistical analysis.
- Agriculture fieldwork experience.
- Ability to read and understand Standard Operating Procedures and protocols
- Knowledge of laboratory safe work practices and hazardous material handling
- Valid drivers’ licence and access to a vehicle
- Demonstrate an excellent level of attention to detail. Ability to work quickly and accurately, organizing tasks and delivering quality results with efficiency. Ability to troubleshoot lab issues.
- Able and willing to work in laboratory and field environment for extended periods of time
- First Aid/CPR and WHMIS and training required.
- Proficiency in Outlook, Excel and other database or computer related applications for key lab equipment.
Perennia offers a competitive compensation package based on the candidate’s skill and experience.
To apply for this exciting new position at Perennia, please email a combined PDF or Word cover letter noting compensation expectations to Claudette Rogers, Human Resources Specialist by noon on February 20th, 2019.
Only those granted interviews will be contacted. For more information about Perennia visit their website at www.perennia.ca
Perennia is an equal opportunity employer
Job Type: Temporary
Salary: $48,000.00 to $55,000.00 /year