Hillsdale Investment Management Inc. is a fast-growing, Canadian employee-owned investment boutique managing over $2.5 billion in Canadian, U.S. and Global equities for institutional and private wealth investors. We offer a unique, stimulating and entrepreneurial work environment with an exceptional opportunity for professional development, learning and success. We have an opportunity for a Developer or Senior Developer on the Data Engineering Team.
· Design, develop and maintain our production applications, databases and custom ETL workflows to help our research and portfolio management team inform their investment decision making
· Build and enhance our proprietary applications for investment research, portfolio management, and portfolio analytics by implementing database scripts, back-end application code, and occasionally front-end applications.
· Ensure that technical decisions are taken with an appropriate balance of time-to-market versus meeting longer-term organization needs
· Ensure a smooth processing of production related jobs, providing occasional off-hours support
· Motivated self-starter with a commitment to providing creative and robust software solutions
· A minimum of 3 years of experience developing back-end applications, custom ETL processes and proprietary data solutions
· Degree(s) in Computer Science, Math, Engineering, or a related discipline
· Strong software development skills with OOP languages such as Python or Java.
· Expertise in SQL, relational database concepts, and SQL scripting (T-SQL, PL/SQL, PL/pgSQL, etc.)
· Working knowledge of Python’s data ecosystem: Pandas, Numpy, Flask, SqlAlchemy, Airflow, etc.
· Proficient in software architecture and data model design
· Ability to work closely with Portfolio Managers and Traders, and to understand their language
· Experience in manipulating time-series, cross-sectional, or panel datasets
Assets (preferred but not required)
· Experience working with financial datasets and data vendors
· Investment industry experience, CFA, FRM, CSC or related designation
· Front-end development experience with HTML + CSS + JS Frameworks (Angular, React, etc.)
· Experience with NoSQL DBs (MongoDB, etc.) and Big Data implementations (Dask, Spark, etc.)
Qualified individuals are asked to forward their resume. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected to advance in the hiring process will be contacted. Hillsdale encourages applications from people with disabilities and will make accommodations on request. Both full-time and contract arrangements will be considered for this role.
About the Company
Hillsdale focuses on producing high quality investment strategies and delivering client service excellence. Since 2011 Hillsdale has sponsored the prestigious CFA Society Toronto & Hillsdale Canadian Investment Research Award, for which a winning research paper is selected annually to receive a cash prize. In 2018, Hillsdale was named the fastest growing money manager in its category by Benefits Canada.
Job Type: Full-time
- SQL: 1 year (Required)
- python: 1 year (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19