Outstanding Workplace of the Year Award, Chamber of Commerce
Employer of the Year Award, Tourism Vancouver Island
Voted Best Hotel Venue, Vancouver Island Wedding Awards
Vancouver Island Wedding Industry Award - Best Indoor Ceremony Venue
Summary of Position:
To represent Inn at Laurel Point in all guest interactions as an “Elegant, Pacific Rim Inspired waterfront inn where memories are created.” This position is accountable for the complete coordination and supervision of group events and weddings from the point of contract signing to post event follow-up and final billing.
- Promptly respond to all client inquiries and provide immediate attention to their needs
- Responsible for managing group blocks (whether passed along from a Sales Manager or booked directly through the Events team)
- Act as main contact for event and conference organizers as well as wedding couples in the detailed planning process of their event and/or conference
- Obtain and confirm event related details with clients. Organize and disseminate information to all departments through e-mail, group resumes, and banquet event orders in a professional and timely manner
- Maintain close relationship with all hotel departments to meet and communicate each groups’ needs
- Attend banquet event review meetings, daily hotel line-up meetings, and monthly department meetings as required
- Create floor plans for the best use of space for each event
- Conduct site visits and actively sell weddings and other leisure groups as well as “catering only” bookings
- Ensure that all accounting procedures are followed including deposits, appropriate credit and pre-payment
- Maximize revenues through effective upselling
- Coordinate clients’ needs with suppliers and vendors to supply rental items, audio visual equipment, décor & themed items, and other needs as identified by the client
- Other duties, projects, and initiatives as assigned by the Director of Sales & Marketing or Event Manager
- Sound knowledge of food and beverage, banquet/catering and hotel operations
- Minimum one year of Event planning experience, preferably in a hotel environment
- Post-secondary education in Hospitality & Tourism Management or related field an asset
- Fundamental knowledge of OPERA (or other property management system) and Social Tables an asset
- Excellent knowledge of Word and Excel
- Must be able to work Tuesday to Saturday on a weekly basis
- Must be available outside of regular scheduled hours as required
- Strong critical thinking and negotiation abilities
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional listening skills and telephone etiquette
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work well under pressure
- Confident, well groomed, professional presentation
- Must be self-motivated, professional and be able to work with colleagues at all levels
- A strong focus on service and exceptional guest and colleague relationship building
- Must be able to embrace the 4 core values of the Laurel Point Inn: Excellence, Respect, Curiosity and Stewardship
Reports To: Event Manager
Closing Date: Please submit your application as soon as possible as applications will be reviewed and potentially short-listed daily
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive benefits package: extended healthcare & life insurance, critical illness insurance, employer-sponsored RRSP contribution plan
- A fun & friendly workplace culture that embraces diversity
- Best staff meal in town and by the way, it’s free!
- Complimentary parking on non-restricted days during the off-season
- Aura Waterfront Restaurant + Patio staff discount – 50%
- Need a staycation? We’ve got you covered, after your 1-year work anniversary, enjoy a complimentary one night stay including breakfast for 2
- Friends & Family hotel discount (so you can show off your amazing workplace)
- Candidate referral bonus - $300
- Industry discounts
- Leader of the month recognition program
- Skill and advancement training programs
Thank you for considering Inn at Laurel Point as your employer of choice!
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Are you currently residing in the Greater Victoria area?
- Are you able to work Tuesdays through Saturdays on a regular basis?
- Are you authorized to work in Canada?
- Do you have working knowledge of OPERA Property Management System?
- Event Planning: 1 year (preferred)