Operations and Maintenance jobs at Shell are essential to the ongoing successes of the company. In one of our Operations and Maintenance roles you will be part of a growing team that is tasked with the safe and efficient day-to-day operation of our global projects and assets.
Working in our oil refineries, our petrochemical plants, onshore and offshore production fields, and other operations, a career in Operations and Maintenance at Shell is one right at the front line of the company’s activities.
Where you fit in
Shell is looking for highly ambitious and safety-conscious candidates as Process Operators for our Shell Scotford Manufacturing Complexnear Fort Saskatchewan, AB.
We work as one team and are committed to excellence. We are accountable for our work and above all, we work hard to get the job done. We are passionate about innovation and driving positive change. Oh yeah, we like to have fun too.
We believe in creating a diverse and inclusive culture and work environment where you can thrive, innovate and develop; but most of all, be yourself.
What you’ll be working on
On a day to day basis, Process Operators are involved with the following activities;
- Ensuring that plant operations are conducted in a safe manner, and that all safety and environmental regulations are followed.
- Monitor unit operations and troubleshoot process problems.
- Execute unit objectives for the shift to meet the overall production and budget goals.
- Make sound decisions based on operating procedures and standards.
- Participate actively and constructively in safety meetings, inspections, and high potential pre-job safety meetings.
- Ensure execution of safe work practices for permitting activities within area of control.
- Complete unit HSE and Process Safety checks.
- Work with Maintenance and Engineering for the execution of various maintenance tasks.
- Perform routine rounds in the plant to observe and verify all equipment status and overall plant conditions, clearly word work orders for execution by Maintenance.
- Perform housekeeping duties as necessary on and around equipment, process area, and control room; keeping equipment and plant site clean and clear.
The Shell Scotford Complex is a short drive from Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta and consists of a bitumen upgrader, oil refinery, chemicals plant and a carbon capture and storage (CCS) facility. It is one of North America’s most efficient, modern and integrated hydrocarbon processing sites, converting oil sands bitumen into finished, marketable products. We recruit those who are interested in a career with Shell and prefer to develop and promote our people from within.Our career management process means that you will be able to perform a range of unique and challenging duties and roles during your career. The Shell Scotford site is committed to the Shell Golden Rules; Comply with the law, standards and procedures. Intervene in unsafe or non-compliant situations. Respect our neighbors. These standards are the reason Shell Scotford is an industry leader.You will work for a company that upholds safety, ethics and continues to seek out ways to further improve its work processes.
Shell offers an exceptional benefits program that includes competitive savings, retirement, and healthcare plans that you can customize to meet your individual needs. Educational and physical fitness financial assistance programs our also offered as part of the benefits package. Shell Scotford is a continuous learning environment that encourages you to augment your skills and capabilities. Scotford employees are encouraged to join Employee Networks which provide forums for sharing information and ideas, enhance employee’s individual development, career progression and communication with other Shell employees in Alberta. Scotford employees are encouraged to join Employee Networks which provide forums for sharing information and ideas, enhance employee’s individual development, career progression and communication with other Shell employees. The following Networks are available to Scotford employees: InNET (Indigenous employee network), Shell Women’s Network and our New Professionals Network. New Scotford employees are encouraged to utilize Shell’s Buddy system which will help you settle into your new role by providing support and a friendly face that explains "how we do things around here.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada for anyone other than current employer.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Some travel, overtime and after hours’ coverage required.
- Willing to work nights, weekends, holidays and be on-call to respond to emergencies when required.
- Willing to work outdoors in inclement weather.
- Willing to work a rotating shift schedule.
- Able to climb ladders and stairs, work at heights and in confined spaces.
- Must possess a high school diploma (or equivalent).
- Must possess a minimum of 4th Class Steam Ticket.
- Must reside within the area or be willing to relocate.
- Using safe lifting techniques, able to lift and carry 20 kg from ground to waist level.
- Ability to work safely wearing a respirator or Self-contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA).
- Willing to participate on an emergency response team.
- Willing to comply with Shell's drug-free and harassment-free work environment and comply with all safety policies and procedure.
- Willing to work in a diverse and team-oriented environment.
- Good mechanical aptitude and equipment troubleshooting abilities.
- Shell strives to eliminate or minimize health and a safety risk associated with its business activities and is committed to providing a safe workplace for all workers.
- A condition of employment for this position is successful completion of a pre-placement medical assessment of your fitness for duty, background check, driving record check and Pre-Site Access testing for alcohol and specified drugs. The Process Operator job is designated as a Safety Sensitive Position.
In an Operations and Maintenance career, you will have the opportunity to progress in an environment that encourages both personal and professional development and be part of some of the most ground-breaking projects anywhere in the industry.
In Canada, we do everything from exploring for oil and gas, to refining and manufacturing, to discovering new ways to reduce emissions, to delivering fuels to our customers from coast to coast.
We have many successful businesses and projects across Canada, including:
- a strong and rapidly growing Upstream business built around the Montney and the Duvernay shale plays, on a foundation of Foothills sour gas;
- a successful Downstream business anchored in our Sarnia refinery (Ontario) and our Scotford refinery and upgrader (Alberta) as well as our two world-class petrochemicals plants near Edmonton;
- a network of 1,300 retail sites across Canada – a vital point of connection for our customers to us – which makes us one of the pre-eminent fuel retailers in the country;
- strong Aviation, Sulphur and Lubricants businesses;
- an innovative Supply and Trading business;
- a prospective LNG export project in Kitimat, B.C.
Canada is especially well-suited to offer lower carbon energy solutions thanks to our highly experienced workforce, our abundance of natural resources and supportive government policies. In Canada, Shell is actively exploring opportunities to invest in new fuels for transport, renewable power and customer solutions enabled by digital technology to lead the global movement towards cleaner energy.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time