Make a difference every day – be trained as a Live Captioner!
Would you like to join our mission to make the world's content accessible - to everyone?
We are looking for people who share our passion for accessibility and inclusion to be trained as Live ‘Respeakers’ - Captioners. In this role you will have the opportunity to provide accessibility to those in need on a daily basis - #captionsmatter. No two days will be the same as you caption for university lectures, workplace meetings or conferences. If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of millions of people each day, then this is the role for you!
Our established remote training program will take you from a beginner to a trained Live Captioner in three (3) weeks while working from home.
How our program works:
You will have a dedicated trainer and mentor who will guide you on the finer points of captioning. Once you successfully complete the program, you will be offered a casual position and have the freedom of working from the comfort of your home, joining an organization that truly believes in nurturing and empowering our people.
No previous captioning experience is required, however, to be successful, you will need to display an exceptional command of the English language, both written and verbal, and have the ability think on your feet to work efficiently and effectively under pressure. This role is also suited to those who are comfortable using multiple programs and technologies.
During the training program:
We offer a structured online training program delivered by members of our experienced North American team. We are currently recruiting and accepting applications for our July and August Training Programs:
July: July 5th 2021 - July 23rd 2021
August: August 3rd 2021 - August 20th 2021
During the three (3) week remote training program you will receive regular feedback on your progress with several milestones to meet. You will learn:
- The process of how live captions are created using Respeaking
- To use Ai-Media's live captioning toolkit to open content for college students and working professionals that rely on live captioning to participate in the classroom, their workplace, and broader discussions at community events, conferences, and online video streams.
- Please note that August training will require some independent virtual training over the weekend to account for the lost day of training due to the Civic Holiday (Aug. 2nd, 2021).
- You will be paid an hourly rate of CAD$16.00 during the initial three (3) week training program.
- We will loan you a laptop, and relevant captioning equipment and software for the duration of the training program.
- Upon successful completion of training and sign-off milestones, you will be certified as a Captioner and be offered a casual employment contract.
- The equipment will be yours on loan for the duration of your employment with Ai-Media and your base casual hourly rate will be CAD$19.00.
If you are interested in applying, you MUST paste the following link into your browser, select the training program you are interested in applying for, and provide the details requested - https://airtable.com/shrBuzzpumcuM6Lw6
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to complete a Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar assessment, as well as a Respeaking assessment.
If successful, you will be contacted directly and invited to complete a video interview submission.
Please note, that this role will involve you being scheduled on a roster where evening and weekend availability is essential – whenever accessibility is required! We require at least 15 hours availability per week after the training.
To find out more about Respeaking, check out this video: https://youtu.be/rmeMDahEi1Q
Wage: CAD$16.00/hour while in training, CAD$19.00/hour once training is successfully passed.
*** We appreciate the interest of every applicant, but due to the nature of the training we are only accepting applications from people who are residents of Ontario or Nova Scotia***
Job Type: Casual