The Resource & Information Employment Specialist is knowledgeable about the local, regional, provincial and, to some extent, the national labour market and the forces which impact upon it. They are specialists in the development and design of impactful resumes, cover letters and other tools developed to support an effective job search.
An R&I specialist assists customers in their independent job search, and provides in-depth information on the job search process, its tools, and related information, in workshops and information sessions, and one-on-one.This is a position is the “face of the Y” with high visibility; strict adherence to the YMCA’s values is imperative.
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka and the YMCA in Canada.
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the membership, facility users and all program participants of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka.
- Conduct preliminary suitability assessment of new clients and direct them to appropriate Employment Services or external services
- Be an active participant in Employment Service tri-site initiatives
- Critique and format cover letters and resumes and make appropriate recommendations encouraging a professional outcome
- Assist customers who have trouble using computers and software.
- Develop and conduct job search/employment related workshops and information sessions, and other workshops as needed, for both job seekers and the employer community
- Conducts and supports itinerant services and represent the Employment Service and the YMCA in “remote” communities
- Develop and maintain knowledge about local employers, their business, and what they look for in new employees
- Maintain updated knowledge of local, regional and broader labour market information, and how to access in-depth information as required.
- Understand the Performance Management model and the Service Quality Standard and its composition, and actively works with the employment team to attain, maintain, and exceed that standard
- Identify and develop tools to help customers understand the changing labour market and its impact on the job search process.
- Maintain a tidy, safe, Resource Centre with up-to-date resources and adequate supplies.
- Maintain up-to-date job boards sourcing a variety of job sources
- Maintain computers and troubleshoot basic issues.
- Multitask and adapt to evolving government directives.
- Observe changing needs within the existing services and look for creative new opportunities to expand them.
- Work cooperatively with case managers and job developers to enable optimal job matches and other employment-related placement opportunities
- Be able to work independently while maintaining team cohesion.
- Represent Employment Services and the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka as per standards outlined in the YMCA personnel policy.
- Complete, update and prioritize all required paperwork, case notes and documentation in a timely manner.
- Other duties as required and/or assigned by Team Leader.
- Minimum college level diploma in adult education and training or social sciences, university degree in business administration or social sciences, or related field preferred
- Experience working in an environment where service is being provided to the public, and experience delivering outstanding customer service
- Solid experience developing and delivering workshops and information sessions
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of the job search process, including new and evolving methods of self-promotion used by job seekers
- Knowledge of major online job information and career guidance sources for all major industries and vocations
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to problem solve and manage crisis situations
- Self-motivated and a strong team player.
- Proficient in Outlook, MS Word, Power Point, Access, Excel, the internet, and comfortable with new and evolving technologies and social media
- Experience using a Smart Board preferred
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written
- Class G license and access to a vehicle
- Updated CPR certification
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Clear Police Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Mandated training (including AODA, Workplace Violence & Harassment, Health & Safety Awareness, Child Protection, etc.) is required before or shortly after commencement of work
Qualified candidates who wish to be considered are invited to send a resume and cover letter to Martina Wahl, Team leader by December 17, 2019.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. Individuals needing employment accommodation in the hiring process or job postings in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources department.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract