Support Staff (BCGEU)
Hours of Work (BCGEU):
# of openings:
Hours Per Week (BCGEU):
13 - BCGEU Pay Grid
Days of Work (BCGEU):
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Permanent Full Time
Internal Closing Date:
March 7, 2021
Travel Frequency:External Closing Date:
Open Till Filled
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
COORDINATOR, INDIGENOUS STUDENT TRANSITION AND ENGAGEMENT
The Coordinator, Indigenous Student Transition and Engagement is responsible for the coordination and delivery of specialized culturally relevant programming that supports the transition and engagement of a diverse Indigenous student population at KPU. The Coordinator works directly with Indigenous learners to provide guidance and advice, coordinates programming that supports Indigenous student recruitment, transition, persistence and retention, leads student events and provides leadership to a team of paid and volunteer Indigenous peers.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate Degree in a relevant discipline plus a minimum of three years related experience.
- Minimum two years’ supervisory experience including staff training and development.
- Minimum two years’ experience recruiting, coordinating and leading volunteer teams.
- Must identify as an individual with Indigenous (First Nation, Métis or Inuit) heritage.
- Must possess a strong understanding of Indigenous culture, history and experiences in Canada.
- Demonstrated knowledge of leadership development for volunteer-based programs.
- Demonstrated understanding of strategic enrolment management and student engagement principles.
- Demonstrated experience with event programing, organizing and implementation of activities and events, preferably with adults or young adults.
- Functional understanding of social media applications.
- Ability to exercise a high level of initiative, responsibility and attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills; including the ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with, and provide exceptional customer service to, all internal and external stakeholders.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills in addition to confidence with public speaking to groups of greater than 30.
- Ability to communicate patiently and effectively with a diverse range of people and situations and to relate with students from different cultural and social backgrounds.
- Must be able to work independently and as a team player.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience managing event budgets of $5,000 or greater.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
- Must be able to work on multiple campuses and must be able to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends.
- Travel is required; possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is preferred.
- Must be able to lift and carry materials in the range of 30 to 50 lbs.
Click here for a more detailed job description.
The University welcomes and encourages applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. If you require an accommodation through our hiring process, please include your request in the application email.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.