As a member of the Financial and Administrative team, the Taxation Specialist is responsible for the taxation reporting and tracking function of the company. Reporting to the VP of Finance, the Taxation Specialist will oversee the ordering of excise stamps, calculate and track reports, develop and maintain taxation trajectory protocols as well as compliance with federal and provincial legislation. While abiding by company policies and following the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purpose Regulations, the Taxation Specialist will work with the financial team in achieving financial performance, assisting with compliance requirements, and ultimately increasing AgMedica’s financial position.
Job Type / Category
- Demonstrate superior knowledge of taxation concepts and reporting in relation to the cannabis retail industry;
- Keep informed of current tax regulations and new developments and report findings to both the Legal and Regulatory departments; advise on new compliance matters to departments affected;
- Completely and accurately analyze, report and submit information to financial, along with provincial and federal regulating bodies;
- Develop, implement, and maintain excise tax reporting protocols and processes for each provincial body;
- Calculate taxation on each product, shipment, province;
- Prepare for and participate in audits as they arise, prepare quarterly and annual reports
- Manage taxation software and implement new features; research and be well-informed on new industry systems;
- Familiar with ad valorem taxations/calculations in addition to excise tax calculations; record and track all calculations and excise stamps;
- Prepare, review, and submit credit applications for each province as required;
- Respond to tax related correspondence and concerns in a timely manner;
- Maintain a documented system of tax report policies and procedures;
- Oversee the reporting of the taxation function, including provincial excise taxation for each Canadian province ensuring regulatory objectives;
- Compliance maintenance
- Work with team members on accounting systems, internal controls, tax reporting, and compliance management;
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
- Post Secondary in Accounting and/or Business Administration or CPA designation required.
- 3-5 years experience in a financial role, with superior knowledge of taxation regulations and reporting procedures.
- Experience in a financial role with a proven track record of achievement in Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) facilities is considered an asset.
- Strong computer skills, including superior use of Microsoft Office applications with expert level proficiency in MS Excel.
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial statement preparation.
- Demonstrate necessary comprehension of the English language.
AGMEDICA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We offer an inclusive work environment and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. AgMedica is a Certified Living Wage employer, we are committed to fair and accessible employment practices, which attract and retain talented employees. Should you require accommodations during any point of the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources 844-247-4633 ex 130.
Please submit resume and cover letter to the Human Resource Manager.
We thank all candidates; however, we will respond to those that best fit the requirements of the position. As we are a growing organization, all resumes will be maintained in our database for consideration for future positions.
Job Type: Full-time