Schedule Monday - Friday; 8:30-4:30
Education Level College Diploma
Career Level 3 years of relevant experience
Ranked among the top engineering schools in Canada and worldwide, the Faculty of Engineering plays a key role in helping McMaster University earn its well-deserved reputation for innovative programs, cutting-edge research, leading faculty, and aspiring students.
Reporting to the Manager, Strategic Recruitment & Enrolment, the Administrative Assistant (Recruitment & Events), provides administrative support to the Outreach team and supports the organization of ongoing functions within the unit. This role contributes to the production and dissemination of information, performs duties in the identification and recruitment of prospective students, and plans and participates in promotion of Outreach activities within the faculty.
Organize and perform a full range of administrative duties that require a thorough understanding of established functions, policies, and procedures. Establishes priorities for general office operations and is responsible for providing direction to others in how to carry out work tasks.
Purpose and Key Functions:
Other responsibilities will include:
- Establish priorities for general office operations.
- Plan and coordinate a variety of events and activities such as conferences, seminars, and workshops.
- Greet visitors, answer or redirect general inquiries in person, by telephone and via email and respond independently to inquiries that are specific in nature and require a thorough knowledge of established policies and procedures.
- Utilize discretion and judgment to screen visitors and telephone calls, and notify appropriate personnel.
- Monitor budgets and reconcile accounts. Complete financial forms such as travel expense reports, electronic cheque requisitions, purchase orders and journal entries.
- Write a variety of documents such as correspondence, procedure manuals, reports, and minutes.
- Conduct database, literature, and web searches to find references and articles used for a variety of documents, reports, and publications.
- Provide policy and procedure information to others.
- Gather and compile the paperwork required to facilitate hiring and payment processes.
- Collect, verify, and input data into a variety of spreadsheets and databases.
- Coordinate the calendar of supervisor and others and resolve scheduling conflicts.
- Write a variety of formal notes and records such as meeting minutes.
- Update and maintain information on websites and social networks.
- Format, word process, edit, and proofread a variety of documents and materials.
- Apply standard mathematical skills such as calculations, formulas, and equations to perform a variety of calculations.
- Monitor and order office supplies.
- Source and obtain pricing information for office supplies and equipment.
- Set up and maintain filing systems, both electronic and hard copy.
- Classify, sort, and file correspondence, records, and other documents.
- Update and maintain confidential files and records.
- Handle sensitive material in accordance with established policies.
- Assemble, copy, collate, and disseminate a variety of documents and materials.
- Open and distribute incoming mail and faxes.
- Prepare outgoing mail, faxes, and courier shipments.
- Respond to requests from students and staff for recruitment materials and maintain publications/materials inventory.
- Prepare shipments of materials for school visits and various educational fairs.
- Co-ordinate domestic and international travel arrangements for Outreach staff.
- Schedule interviews and tours for prospective students; co-ordinate school and event bookings in partnership with central student recruitment office, academic departments, and other campus units
- Create and maintain prospect records, support the production of statistical reports and competitor analysis
- Prepare an annual calendar of events, student recruitment reports and statistics
- Administer payroll functions for temporary/interim staff
- Maintain inventory of recruitment/outreach marketing material (banners, table cloths, brochures etc).
2 year Community College diploma in Office Administration or related field of study.
Requires 3 years of relevant experience.
Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
Ability to prioritize effectively and meet competing deadlines
Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an ability to effectively communicate with individuals at all levels
Proven capacity to multi-task and handle a high volume of work
Experience with managing schedules and minute taking
Strong proficiency in MS Office - including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
Proficiency in Mosaic/PeopleSoft - finance and HR modules
Previous work experience in student recruitment and/or events planning
Administrative experience in an academic environment, including working knowledge of institutional policies and procedures
Evening and weekend work will be a regular requirement for this job.
How To Apply
To apply for this job, please submit your application online.
Employment Equity Statement
McMaster University is located on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Mississauga Nations and, within the lands protected by the “Dish with One Spoon” wampum agreement.
In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity. The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. While all qualified candidates are invited to apply, we particularly welcome applications from women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, members of visible minorities, and LGBTQ+ persons. Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact the Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247) or the Faculty of Health Sciences Human Resources office at ext. 22207 to communicate accommodation needs.