Position title: Bilingual Lowertown, Our Home Project Coordinator and Outreach
Hours of work: 3-5 days / week from October 7, 2019 – June 30, 2020
(Based on funders calendars)
Required: Regular evening and occasional weekend work required
Salary: $24.69 / per hour to $32.46 / per hour
Benefits: 6% in lieu of vacation
Closing date for this posting: September 9, 2019, at 4:30pm
The Lowertown Community Resource Centre (LCRC) is a non-profit organization offering community and social services to residents of Lowertown.
The Project Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of the project Lowertown, Our Home. Lowertown, Our Home which unites residents and 14 service agencies in identifying common concerns and putting in place initiatives to foster community pride and belonging as well promoting safety and security in the neighborhood as crime prevention.
The project management includes coordinating various groups, developing and implementing project activities, monitoring and evaluating community development initiatives as well as developing and monitoring project specific budgets.
The project’s outreach component consists of supporting persons with concurrent disorders (mental health and addictions), engage the diverse residents and partner agencies of our community, build trust and rapport between stakeholders, encourage collaboration, and spur the community into action. The Outreach project aims to reach residents of all ages and backgrounds: youth, seniors, new comers, drug users and the general population. The dialogue between residents and partners will be to identify risks and protective factors as related to drug trade activities and their impact.
Job specific responsibilities
- Engage community members and community partners, with a focus on priority populations, to identify issues, and solutions while promoting community ownership of decisions;
- In close coordination with community members and stakeholders, identify and implement programs and activities that address community security;
- Mobilize community members and other stakeholders with a view to mutual cooperation;
- Ensure efficient communication between project partners and community members;
- Facilitate and coordinate meetings between various partners and relay pertinent information;
- Coordinate outreach and promotion of project-related activities to community members, various ethno cultural groups and other relevant groups;
- Develop and implement promotional and community development strategies that help strengthen the capacity of individuals and communities;
- Work closely with the Ottawa Police Service, Ottawa Community Housing Corporation, and other partners;
- Assist in implementing the post-incident protocol and support the coordination of crisis responses;
- Ensure the monitoring and evaluation of the project;
- Write progress and final reports, responsible for minute taking, funding proposals and manage project specific budgets;
- Working in a manner that preserves confidentiality and seeks to minimize risk in keeping with the Centre’s Privacy and Confidentiality Policies and Procedures;
- Respecting and valuing the diversity of communities and individuals.
- Post-secondary degree in social sciences, social work, criminology or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- A minimum of three years’ experience in an environment providing community development type work and/or social and community services;
- Proficiency in French and English essential (oral and written). Candidates’ language proficiency in English and French will be assessed before they are invited to an interview;
- Fluency in identified non-official languages based on neighbourhood demographics (Somali, Arabic, Lingala, Kirundi, Swahili, etc.) is a strong asset;
- Ability to work with Outlook, social media and other computer skills;
- Excellent people and communication skills;
- Excellent group facilitation and presentation skills;
- Understanding and sensitivity to the issues related to violence and poverty; equity;
- Experience working with multi-cultural communities, low-income communities, high-risk families (particularly from African and Middle Eastern countries);
- Experience in collaborative community engagement development activities.
Please submit your resume and cover letter by September 9th, 2019, at 4:30 pm, to:
Selection Committee: Lowertown, Our Home Project
Lowertown Community Resource Centre
40 Cobourg Street, Ottawa, ON K1N 8Z6
Or by fax: (613) 789-3443
We invite you to consult our website (www.crcbv.ca) for more information
The Lowertown CRC respects the employment equity and diversity principle.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
We thank you for your interest in this position.
Only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $24.69 to $32.46 /hour
- social work: 3 years (Required)
- community development: 3 years (Preferred)
- DCS / DEC (Required)
- English (Required)
- French (Required)