Job Posting #19-003
This position requires union membership
This position is open to male and female applicants
Nature of Position
The Support Worker provides assistance to seniors living in their family home or a care facility.
Service focuses on the development of skills that will assist them in achieving greater independence in their lives and/or on the development of personal networks through active participation in community.
Service includes housekeeping duties and providing transportation as required. The Support Worker provides opportunities that increase community independence and involvement. He or she promotes the development of unpaid relationships that will augment family and staff involvement. The Support Worker establishes and maintains a warm and personal relationship with each person served and
encourages the active involvement of family members, friends and neighbours in each person's life.
The Support Worker is a dedicated and knowledgeable member of a comprehensive organization wide support team. As such, when deemed qualified with appropriate skills and abilities, he/she may provide services to individuals in related programs, when required.
- Ability to interact effectively and develop positive relationships with program participants
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to use personal computer and appropriate software effectively to complete the positions work on time. This includes at a minimum: data entry using lists and tools on Sharevision, file management, e-mail, internet search, and word processing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal behaviour and communication skills.
- Knowledge of theory, principles and practices of the community living sector.
- Proven ability to provide and/or assist in emergencies.
- Demonstrated ability to involve people who have a developmental disability in community activities regardless of medical or behavioural barriers.
- Ability to support advocacy efforts appropriately.
- Empathy; understanding of human development and behaviour.
- Strong knowledge of community agencies, systems and services.
- Good organization, time and general management skills.
- Excellent teaching skills.
- Ability to participate as a member of a community based program team.
- Willingness to try new activities in public places.
- Comfortable and confident providing support in the community.
- Ability to effectively support the retirement activities that clients choose.
- Preference is given to candidates with a Certificate in Health Care, Residential Care or Community Support Worker Certificate.
- At least one year experience supporting seniors (adult education, recreation, therapy)
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Requirements for Ongoing Employment:
- A valid WCB Level I approved First Aid Certificate (willing to train)
- A valid unrestricted Class 5 BC Driver’s License
- Criminal Record Search renewed every 5 years
- TB test
- Access to a safe, well-maintained vehicle with appropriate insurance is required
- WHMIS Training
Please quote the posting # 19-003 when applying.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $18.15 to $21.14 /hour