Leede Jones Gable is a mid-size investment firm with offices across Canada and over 150 investment advisors and portfolio managers. We are one of the few full-service dealers not owned by a bank or life insurance company. We are owned by our employees, and that sets the stage for our firm’s ambition and culture. In its 2019 Brokerage Report Card, Investment Executive ranked us as the top investment firm in Canada.
The firm is seeking to expand its financial markets capabilities by growing its institutional investor and investment banking client base through the creation of a dedicated capital markets team, based initially in Toronto and with key additions to the team already consummated in sales, trading, banking and equity research.
As part of our strategy to expand our capital markets capabilities across multiple growth industrial economic sectors, we are specifically seeking to augment our life sciences equity research team by hiring an Equity Research Associate, Healthcare & Biotechnology. As part of Leede Jones Gable’s foundational life sciences group, you will be responsible for working with senior life sciences research analyst(s) to facilitate the publication of research reports that focus on investment & valuation summaries of publicly-traded healthcare firms, with a breadth of expertise likely to focus primarily (though not exclusively) on drug/biologics development, medical technology development, and healthcare services. Desired qualifications are as summarized below.
- Work in collaboration with research analyst(s) to publish investment theses and/or valuation summaries of publicly traded firms under coverage by the firm.
- Work cooperatively to generate financial models (usually using Excel as the flagship spreadsheet/modeling platform) germane to predictions of share price valuation.
- Provide insights into how firm-specific and/or macroeconomic elements reflect on valuation projections.
- Undergraduate training in commerce, accounting, or healthcare/biomedical sciences (BA, B.Sc, B.Eng, B.Comm or equivalent). Applicants with life sciences-focused education will require demonstration of financial modeling skills and/or rudimentary capital markets acumen.
- Graduate training in life sciences and/or business (M.Sc, M.Eng, Ph.D, MBA, or equivalent), prior work experience in Canadian capital markets, or Level I-III CFA designation are desired but not essential.
- Excellent communication skills and facility with written English are essential, and candidates may be required to submit evidence of writing acumen either through prior publication history or during a formal interview.
- Facility with spreadsheet/modelling is essential, as is understanding of basic accounting principles germane to financial forecast derivation and share price valuation.
- Strong self-motivated work ethic, drive, enterprise and confidence are essential interpersonal skills for successful applicants.
Salary and benefits will be competitive with industry standards and subject to candidate qualifications. Candidates wishing to be considered for this employment opportunity should submit curriculum vitae and cover letter.
We strive to foster a workplace that reflects the diversity of people and the clients we serve, and we are committed to excellence and inclusion in our organization. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. We thank all those who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Profit sharing
- Vision care
- Work from home
- Microsoft Excel: 1 year (Preferred)
- Chartered Financial Analyst (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19