J. L. Richards & Associates Limited (JLR) is a Gold Standard Canadian Best Managed company that provides high-quality architecture, engineering, planning, and project management services to clients in both the private and public sectors. With offices across Ontario, all staffed with a diverse team of professionals, JLR stands out in the industry due to our unique collaborative approach. On every project, we work as a team to provide value for our clients. As a 100% employee-owned and completely Canadian business, JLR understands what clients want and how to deliver designs and built projects that meet their needs.
To support our recent and ongoing growth, JLR’s Ottawa office is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of System Administrator with a minimum of 5 years of related experience. The successful candidate will work within a tight-knit, collegial group of nine other IT professionals who are all driven people with tenacity and entrepreneurial spirit.
At JLR, candidates can expect to join a creative, tight-knit, and mentorship-focused community with significant opportunities for driven people with tenacity and an entrepreneurial spirit. Our organization is made up of diverse employee-owners with specialized expertise in a wide range of disciplines. You will have the opportunity to partner with clients to develop insightful solutions and see projects through from conception to completion. You’ll be encouraged to go after your interests and try new approaches to further develop our team of dedicated professionals, and to be part of the shared success of the firm.
If you have a creative spirit, thrive when presented with new challenges, and are eager to take your career in new directions, then JLR is the right environment for you.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Reporting to the Manager of IT & Facilities, the System Administrator’s primary responsibilities are:
- Performing security updates and monitoring event logs on all servers ensuring a secure and reliable environment;
- Managing and maintaining backup infrastructure;
- Assuming ownership of escalated first line help desk tickets, providing guidance and mentoring to first line help desk staff;
- Configuring and maintaining as required - Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Group Policies, email accounts and ActiveSync via Office365 and Skype for Business;
- Creating and maintaining documentation for IT processes;
- Assisting in the planning and execution of new IT initiatives;
- Working as part of a team towards the common goal providing exceptional IT services to the entire organization; and
- All other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education and/or coursework in a related field;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in an IT role within a corporate environment, with at least 3 years experience performing System Administrator responsibilities as outlined above;
- Previous experience in a professional services would be an asset;
- Proficiency with Active Directory, Exchange, MS SQL, VMWARE, Cisco;
- Storage Area Network (SAN) experience;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Well-developed technical, analytical and critical-thinking skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills;
- Ability to foster collegiality, prioritize deadlines, and work in a team setting towards the successful completion of assigned tasks;
- Ability to work overtime occasionally and travel from time-to-time as required; and
- Valid driver’s license.
Why Join Us?
- 100% employee-owned with share ownership opportunities at all levels;
- Work-life balance is strongly encouraged;
- Stable, long-term employment with opportunities for advancement based on merit, skill, and initiative;
- Friendly, welcoming and team-oriented atmosphere that fosters collaboration;
- Flexible career direction with opportunities to choose your own path;
- Interesting and exciting assignments ranging in size and type;
- Corporate philosophy that encourages growth and development along with an “open-door” policy where communication is encouraged;
- Competitive salary reviewed annually;
- Health / dental benefits offered immediately;
- RRSP / DPSP program offered immediately;
- Merit-and-profit bonus program for eligible employees; and
- Extracurricular social events (annual “prom”, golf tournaments, sports teams, department lunches, summer BBQs, and much more).
JLR welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Job Type: Full-time
- system administration: 1 year (Preferred)